flhx06

Edge Paint Rollers

Is anyone using one? I have been eyeing one that the BuckleGuy sells but its $100 + dollars.

Currently I am using an awl and a spatula. I am getting ok results but still having trouble keeping it from running over the sides. I am thinking a roller might make my edges more consistent.

7 minutes ago, flhx06 said:

Is anyone using one? I have been eyeing one that the BuckleGuy sells but its $100 + dollars.

Currently I am using an awl and a spatula. I am getting ok results but still having trouble keeping it from running over the sides. I am thinking a roller might make my edges more consistent.

This is my favourite:

https://www.rmleathersupply.com/collections/tools/products/edge-paint-roller

I have this as well, not as easy to do thick edges like a wallet I did recently, but a lot easier to prep and cleanup after.

https://www.rmleathersupply.com/collections/tools/products/precision-bottles

I use an edge paint roller that has a brass cone where the brush would be on a regular applicator, cost is around $6 - $7US from memory, ordered online, just Google it on eBay.

*On 2nd thought, for $100+, are we talking about totally different items?

Thanks all. I have a hand held cone shaped edge painting roller but it doesnt seem to work for me. It doesnt roll, it drags. Maybe its the piece that I have?

My post was referring to something more like this:

73D6B1A8-E4A9-4261-88E8-5074E0E35A24.jpeg

4 hours ago, flhx06 said:

its the piece that I have

Absolutely the tool you have. All 3 of mine work perfectly. Each to their own. If you can use the more expensive model, and its within budget, go for it.

Of course, that model pictured could not be used on something with tight corners, like some holsters, but it might work great for a large run of belts. 

Have you checked the little bearing in your roller? Sometimes paint gets in there and gums it up. Just a thought

Those RM Leather Supply mesh cage rollers are a game changer. The knurled brass ones can leave marks. The mesh ones work great with whatever consistency of edge treatment you use.

On 10/21/2018 at 12:15 PM, Stetson912 said:

Have you checked the little bearing in your roller? Sometimes paint gets in there and gums it up. Just a thought

I'm going to check to see if mine is bound up with paint etc. Thanks for the tip.

27 minutes ago, Nuttish said:

Those RM Leather Supply mesh cage rollers are a game changer. The knurled brass ones can leave marks. The mesh ones work great with whatever consistency of edge treatment you use.

I think I am going to order one of those. $25 is a small price to pay to achieve perfection :)

1 hour ago, Nuttish said:

This has been my experience. You  must apply a moderate amount of pressure to the piece to make it roll, instead of drag. And yes, it tends to leave small ridges from the flutes on the cone. I really like the look of that mesh one!

Jeff

I have never had marks left behind with my brass rollers. Perhaps you aren't putting enough paint on the roller or the paint is too thin.

Like everything else worthwhile, it takes a "Little Learning".

Ferg

Wot he says. I've only used mine a few times but I've never got ridges and never had to apply any pressure; the roller just glided along

Yes, it's likely I didn't load up the roller enough. And I didn't stick with it long enough to get good at it. I found I liked the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser better. I cut them into strips, fold it over and dip it into the paint or dye. Amazing how much they can hold, and then let it out at a fairly constant rate. 

I'll have to practice with the roller some more.

Jeff

The Koreans use a knobbled parallel sided 4inch  steel bar  handheld turning on bearings within a handle. They use different sized knobbles depending on the viscosity of the edge paint and also whether it's gloss or matt. I have two. They have served me well for many years.

My two favorite applicators are the mesh roller mentioned that RML carries and the KS Blade Punch applicator. The KS Blade tool is a metal rod with a narrow and broad tip.

That KS Blade tool is interesting. It's almost like my double ended modeling tool, minus the ball on one end. I'll have to try that out.

Jeff

I just got my RM leather mesh roller. I’m excited to use it however how does everyone else clean theirs after they use it?

2 hours ago, flhx06 said:

I just got my RM leather mesh roller. I’m excited to use it however how does everyone else clean theirs after they use it?

I just use hot water.

On October 21, 2018 at 4:55 PM, flhx06 said:

Thanks all. I have a hand held cone shaped edge painting roller but it doesnt seem to work for me. It doesnt roll, it drags. Maybe its the piece that I have?

My post was referring to something more like this:

73D6B1A8-E4A9-4261-88E8-5074E0E35A24.jpeg

This item would be mostly useless to me.  Even if I was going to make a large run of belts, it would never give me the control I want for my edges.  I use the cone shaped cheapie as well, but I took the cone out of the handle and roll it between my fingers.

I have this in the mail, should provide a bit better control as the tip is finer serrated the the cone shaped (which I have).

roller.jpg

7 hours ago, LetterT said:

I have this in the mail, should provide a bit better control as the tip is finer serrated the the cone shaped (which I have).

roller.jpg

Where did you find these?

Gary

2 hours ago, LetterT said:

Thanks!  I found this item on Amazon for $7.99 including shipping!

Gary

I've got to look into those.

Jeff

4 hours ago, alpha2 said:

I've got to look into those.

Jeff

I’ve been using the grooved roller pen and it works very well, but I’m looking forward to trying out this new pen.  Only downside is shipping can take 3-5 weeks.

Gary

On 11/3/2018 at 8:15 PM, garypl said:

I’ve been using the grooved roller pen and it works very well, but I’m looking forward to trying out this new pen.  Only downside is shipping can take 3-5 weeks.

Gary

I received the new knurled roller pen today and did a quick test - seems to work really well.  Very smooth rolling action and Giardini paint went on much more smoothly than the grooved cone roller I normally use.  Will do more testing, but my initial impression is that this is a great tool for the money!

Gary