crookedtleather

Maul Help

I am new to leather, and currently I own a cheap amazon maul that I picked up for $15. I would appreciate it if someone could give me some information on Barry King and Clay Miller mauls. I am trying to decide between the two and I would like to know the pros and cons if there are any, and why one might be better than the other. I would also appreciate pictures to give me a better sense of what i might get, beings I do not have a shop around to go try them out. If anyone has ever watched a Don Gonzales tooling video, it seems to me as though his Barry King maul is rather quiet and doesnt make a rackity sound like my cheap one does. If anyone has used either, or both and would tell me a little bit about them, id appreciate that.

Please note that I am interested in tooling leather belts, wallets, earrings, book covers etc** 

Thanks!

Edited by crookedtleather

I only have one of those cheap $15 mauls myself and it is pretty poor IMO. It is clackety and it chipped when I was using it last night. The handle is off center so it schifts. I have never heard this about the Barry King mauls. I imagine that is why the cheap ones are $15 bucks and the BKs cost what they do.

Sorry, can't help with either of those mau, but if you are still searching for a decent maul at a very reasonable price, check out wrising.com.  I've been using their 1 lb maul for about a year now and love it.  They also carry poly mauls and mallets.

Wayne Jeuschke!!! GREAT mauls, not so expensive

5 hours ago, SaddleBags said:

Wayne Jeuschke!!! GREAT mauls, not so expensive

Do you happen to know what he charges for a 16 or 20 oz. maul? I haven’t seen many pictures of them either, would you happen to have any to post here for me?

I use Barry’s mauls, and love them,  I have 16, 24, & I think a 32oz.  Look on Barry’s web site for prices and pictures.  I highly recommend all his tools.

http://www.frogjellyleather.com/item/rawhide-maul-lb-1

was using the $15 one from amazon until I bought this and when it arrived I was dumbfounded. I will never use another maul. (and I don't work there). seriously, it is a quality piece. you can just hold it and feel it...thank you. I have the 2lb. And was $44.95 instead of over $100

Edited by wydfuqnopn

3 hours ago, Rhale said:

I use Barry’s mauls, and love them,  I have 16, 24, & I think a 32oz.  Look on Barry’s web site for prices and pictures.  I highly recommend all his tools.

I found it hard to consistantly hit the stamps square on with a round maul, and when i changed to a leather hammer, i found it far easier; due most likely to it having a flat head. no doubt using a round maul gets better with practice, but it does seem strange to use a round object to hit something with and expect to always make contact at zero degree's

Come to think of it I have never seen a carpenter hit a nail with a round head hammer

Edited by chrisash

15 hours ago, wydfuqnopn said:

http://www.frogjellyleather.com/item/rawhide-maul-lb-1

was using the $15 one from amazon until I bought this and when it arrived I was dumbfounded. I will never use another maul. (and I don't work there). seriously, it is a quality piece. you can just hold it and feel it...thank you. I have the 2lb. And was $44.95 instead of over $100

I just ordered one of the 2 lb rawhide ones. Thanks for posting that link. Allllmost grabbed a BK maul. I like the idea of rawhide a bit better than pol, especially since my poly one just chipped.

battlemunky thanks happy to help. im new here and looking forward to shared experience. ive made a lot of mistakes and wasted a lot of money. because there is JUST SO MUCH out there.