ben07

Leather finishing for sensitive skin

Hi, so a friend of mine has asked me to help him make a collar for someone who has sensitive skin. I will be beveling and burnishing the edges so no worries there but is there a coating i should use? I normally use beeswax but it hardens the leather a little and i need this to be as soft as possible. Anyone have any ideas on what to use?

On 10/22/2018 at 6:03 AM, kiwican said:

Sheepskin?

Seconding the sheepskin idea, because I bet the lanolin in it would be quite good for sensitive skin.

But if you're not looking to put a lining on the collar, then I would DEFINITELY skip the wax, that's just going to harden it. (Although you could mix it 50/50 with neatsfoot oil before you apply it, and that might work.) When I made collars (meant for people), my go-to was simply gum trag, though I've since switched to saddle soap because it slicks up nicer. I don't know if there's anything in saddle soap that might irritate sensitive skin, but gum trag is almost guaranteed to be non-reactive. (And according to wikipedia, was used in the past as a topical treatment for burns -- the more you know!)

Not knowing what the wearing is sensitive to, you might want to make up a simple choker necklace with different finishes.  Let the wear spend some time in them to see if they react.  My best friend can feel the weave in sheets she's so sensitive.  Things that I think she can stand, some times she can't.  Things I think will bother her might not. 

Edited by Aven

Thanks for the help. I'll probably try applying lanolin cream to it and see if i can finish it that way. Probably going to make a few with different lining woth fabric and animal skin as well and see which one she would prefer.

another suggestion; use iron-on adhesive and put on a lining of silk. Anyone I know sensitive in that way is not with silk

Goat is very smooth and soft

Ok, I know I am going to get shot for this, but based on historical use, dogskin was sought after by glovers for very soft gloves, as it has no obvious pore structure. Sealskin is both very soft and longlasting.

I genuinely do not know if anyone is producing either today, nor their availability, as I would not use either.

Easier to get and more acceptable would be kangaroo, pared thin and used as a lining.

By sheepskin, I presume the previous poster was meaning 'wool on'?

H