Just finished this. I made this specifically for Bandon Dunes golf course yardage guides and scorecards so a highly specialized item. Don't expect to sell a ton of these. Sorry the photos aren't the best but welcome any comments! This is veg tanned Sheepskin on the outside, veg tanned cowhide on the inside, all stained with Fiebings Black oil dye. Tiger Ritza 1.0 thread. Treated with Smiths Balm. And edge painted. All weights are 2-3 oz.

Cover2.jpg

Inside1.jpg

InsideDetail1.jpg

Edited by flhx06

Looks neat and clean!

Looks very nice!  How did you finish the edges?

Gary

Love the thread color!

3 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Looks neat and clean!

Thanks!

2 hours ago, garypl said:

Looks very nice!  How did you finish the edges?

Gary

Thank! I used edge paint from BuckleGuy in glossy finish and a Tandy edge paint Spatula. 3 coats with sanding in between. I’m looking into one of those edge paint roller deals. Not the handheld one but the one with the tub to hold the paint. Its hard to apply it evenly and consistently by hand.

3 minutes ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Love the thread color!

Thanks! 

Unless you intend to do high numbers I would get the roller first. Appears to me that you rounded your leather edge before applying the paint. Plus you didn't continue completely to the end leaving a portion square. I tried the spatula at first thinking it was okay until I got the tapered roller. I leave all my edges square/flat. I then seal with a clear sealer sanding after every application with nothing rougher than 600 grit sanding cloth. Number of applications of color depends largely on how heavy you apply and how smooth and non-absorbent your choice of leather.

BTW: I think the design of the rollers gives the rounded effect to the flat edge without the actual round shaping.

Ferg

On 10/23/2018 at 6:16 AM, Ferg said:

Unless you intend to do high numbers I would get the roller first. Appears to me that you rounded your leather edge before applying the paint. Plus you didn't continue completely to the end leaving a portion square. I tried the spatula at first thinking it was okay until I got the tapered roller. I leave all my edges square/flat. I then seal with a clear sealer sanding after every application with nothing rougher than 600 grit sanding cloth. Number of applications of color depends largely on how heavy you apply and how smooth and non-absorbent your choice of leather.

BTW: I think the design of the rollers gives the rounded effect to the flat edge without the actual round shaping.

Ferg

Ferg,

You are spot on...I did round the edges a little and didnt take the paint to the end. I tried to fill in the ends afterwards. My next one I will leave the edges flat. I will also try the clear sealer. Sounds like that will be an easier first coat to apply. Any tips on how you clean up any overage on the sides?

Thanks!

I have very little "spill" over the edges anymore, took awhile. Lol The manner you hold the tool alleviates most of that. I like my paint to be a little on the thick side and try to only make one swipe

without going back over what I done previously. This stuff dries very fast so I find it best to correct any little spots on another application of the paint after it dries.

I use an old toothbrush to clean the roller after use with cold water running over it. Warm or hot water sets the paint in the grooves.

I have tried three different brands of the paint. Giardini is the best in my humble opinion.

Ferg

nicely done ..  would probably want to try making one for my dad, if he does use them..

do you have a picture of the left side?

Edited by canonitr

5 hours ago, Ferg said:

I have very little "spill" over the edges anymore, took awhile. Lol The manner you hold the tool alleviates most of that. I like my paint to be a little on the thick side and try to only make one swipe

without going back over what I done previously. This stuff dries very fast so I find it best to correct any little spots on another application of the paint after it dries.

I use an old toothbrush to clean the roller after use with cold water running over it. Warm or hot water sets the paint in the grooves.

I have tried three different brands of the paint. Giardini is the best in my humble opinion.

Ferg

Agree 100% with what Ferg says - seems easier to paint when it is thicker consistency and if you try to go back over even a few seconds after applying the paint it gets blotchy.

Gary

Nice cover! And good edge paint tips. Several things I'll be trying haha 

Please tell me you make multiples of these in different variations and sell them to the pro shop for that specific course.  Unless it's a real duffers course, that would be a great item!  I do holster/gunleather work and am always impressed when I see you guys doing great, delicate accessory work.  It's harder than people think.

21 hours ago, Ferg said:

Ferg

Thanks again for the tips Ferg. I will need to find out what brand my paint is. I buy it from BuckleGuy and they sell it in their own bottles. I doubt it is thier own concoction though. Great tip about the cold water vs. warm or hot too.

21 hours ago, canonitr said:

nicely done ..  would probably want to try making one for my dad, if he does use them..

do you have a picture of the left side?

Thank you. Left side meaning the inside cover or the backside? 

11 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Nice cover! And good edge paint tips. Several things I'll be trying haha 

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Brooks125 said:

Please tell me you make multiples of these in different variations and sell them to the pro shop for that specific course.  Unless it's a real duffers course, that would be a great item!  I do holster/gunleather work and am always impressed when I see you guys doing great, delicate accessory work.  It's harder than people think.

I do have multiples of them...a few. I plan on sending one to the head pro soon. I make a trip there once a year so it would be cool to see my stuff for sale in the pro shops there! I do struggle with durability though. 

Thanks for the compliment!

22 hours ago, Ferg said:

Ferg

I just checked the BuckleGuy website.....their product is Fenice.

15 hours ago, flhx06 said:

Thank you. Left side meaning the inside cover or the backside? 

The side with the pencil holder