gengado

i permanently make mistakes in my work

Hi everyone

I working a cashier in a restaurant and really fear this not my ending career  

i want to be a leather maker and i start learning and do something  in that field to be in someday my job but i can't improve my skills because i make mistakes in all thing i do every time  until now

Are Is this a defect of my personality or this is the nature of the field?

IMG_20181022_234911 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20181022_235154 (Copy).jpg

How long have you been working with leather?  Many of us have been at it for years and still regularly make errors.  As they say, practice makes perfect.  I don't think you should consider it a personal struggle if you make mistakes while learning, that is how many of us learn.

YinTx

4 minutes ago, YinTx said:

How long have you been working with leather?  Many of us have been at it for years and still regularly make errors.  As they say, practice makes perfect.  I don't think you should consider it a personal struggle if you make mistakes while learning, that is how many of us learn.

YinTx

About 4 months

and thanks YinTx

Edited by gengado

Gengado, most of us are our own worst critic, seeing all of the mistakes or imperfections first. 

For someone who has been doing leather work for only four months, that wallet isn't as bad as you seem to think it is.  Yes, there are things you could work on, but all in all, it isn't bad.  I would suggest you pick something you don't like and spend some time watching videos that will help you do whatever it is better and then practice until you like it. 

@gengado, you are an inspiration my friend. I've been at this for a few years and it took me a long time to attempt a wallet and it look as good as yours with a good amount of experience.

Don't beat yourself up! What you are doing looks pretty good and will likely last for a long time even though it is a bit rough around the edges. Keep at it!

At 4 months that's not bad at all.  It takes time to develop any sort of skill with anything.  You made a very usable wallet.  It may not be everything you intended but it's still a good wallet.

I've been making canes for about 2 years now.  I still end up making pretty firewood sometimes and haven't made a perfect one yet. I probably never will.

Same thoughts as the other posters - we all make mistakes and one of the skills we learn is how to cover up the small mistakes so they are not noticeable!  I still have quite a few items in my reject bin that remind me of past mistakes so hopefully I do not repeat them.

Gary

I've seen people working leather for years that can't make a wallet that looks that good. In my opinion, at 4 months you are going to be a skilled leather worker before you know it.

You will learn tricks as time passes that will save you from some mistakes but none of us are perfect and until you spend a lot of time perfecting the process for a particular item mistakes can and will happen

Remember too that on a more noticeable mistakes there's usually only two choices... 

1) show-casing it

2) or shit-canning it.

Anything in between will look like you are trying to hide obvious errors.

I think your stitching is very good. Do you use a stitching pony, or free hand?

The color on the back looks very even and pretty.

Did you use different dyes on the pockets, or did you not do as many coats on all of them to get the different colors?

I find that, as with making new recipes, a notebook is very helpful to keep track of my different efforts and errors.

4 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Do you use a stitching pony, or free hand?

I have a stitshing pony and I don't used yet

Start using your stitching pony. It will seem awkward at first but it will help you to concentrate on getting your sewing done nicely.

Your work is very much fine for a beginner. It is not as bad as you think it is

Apologies folks, but I just gotta say; gengado's work and attitude is far superior to someone else who was doing 'rustic' leather work.

by the way gengado, I have made belts, bags, purses, pouches, hats and more, but I have yet to do a wallet like the one you have made. Well done for making it

Cut 6 pieces of leather about one inch wide and six inches long, sew two of them together on day one, then another two on day two and the third pair of day three

Now lay them out together and see how much your sewing improved in only three days, imaginme how it will look after a month

Life is hard when you learn a new skill, but soon becomes natural and easier, apprenteiceships  last normally three years so only 2 years 8 months to go

15 minutes ago, chrisash said:

lay them out together and see how much your sewing improved in only three days, imaginme how it will look after a month

Thanks chrisash

I'm very happy with your advice

At four months I made a card holder that didn't fit cards, so you aren't doing as bad as I was.

Keep at it.

2 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

At four months I made a card holder that didn't fit cards, so you aren't doing as bad as I was.

Keep at it.

Bikermutto I waiting for your light and useful comment thanks but where Mr ferg

GENGADO,

I am right here!!!!!

Your staining isn't bad. Practice different ways of application. If you don't have an airbrush you can use try different materials.

Stitching is something that can go "wonkie" after doing it for years. Concentrate on your stitch line which I imagine you have free handed. A makeshift tool to mark that line before stitching will do wonders.

I like your idea for the pocket shapes, they just need some refinement. Don't try to be too fancy with the shapes and cuts. Simple is beautiful also.

Keep at it you are doing fine.

Ferg

5 hours ago, fredk said:

Apologies folks, but I just gotta say; gengado's work and attitude is far superior to someone else who was doing 'rustic' leather work.

Agreed wholeheartedly. 

1 hour ago, Ferg said:

I am right here!!!!!

mr Freg your comment is that great thing i have today

Your stitching is VERY good for freehand. My stitches are much more wobbly than yours. And as I said on another thread, the different colors on the pockets are kinda growing on me. 

So, have you figured out how that came about?

That looks great.  It takes a lot of practice to make less mistakes.  It is very rare to see anything that is perfect.  You will judge yourself more than onlookers. 

1) take your time with things. If you're feeling at all rushed when doing something, stop. It will only end up with mistakes. just take it easy and work on making things right before you worry about how long it takes you

2) experiment, and try different ways/methods/processes for doing things. Personally, I have a 'great' habit of thinking that the way i am or have been doing something is the best way, and being stubborn to trying to do things a different way. You have to make yourself just bite the bullet and try doing things a different way, even if you think it isnt going to be as good, because often it actually does turn out better. Thats how i've done approximately 50-75% of all of my learning/improving. 

3) dont get put off by mistakes. Every time you make a mistake, its an opportunity to take a look at what you did, why it went wrong, and figure out how not to do it next time. eachmistake, you get better. keep making mistakes, its good. 

20 hours ago, Clintonville Leather said:

It takes a lot of practice to make less mistakes

18 hours ago, VabaX said:

If you're feeling at all rushed when doing something, stop. It will only end up with mistakes

You have to make yourself just bite the bullet

try doing things a different way

Every time you make a mistake, its an opportunity to take a look at what you did

thanks a lot for brilliant advices

Years ago, I worked with a master carpenter named George.  What he could do with wood was not short of phenominal.

I was tasked to do a certain job by him, . . . and when it was done, . . . I received a few complaints by others.

I suggested to him, how I could fix it, . . . and he smiled and complimented me with one of the best I have ever received.

He said:  "It is not the man who never makes mistakes who will become the master, . . . it is the one who can cancel out or cover up the obvious mistake that becomes the master".

I never forgot it, . . . and have followed that advice in every thing I have done since, . . . and it HAS worked out.

May God bless,

Dwight

PS:  AND, . . . for only 4 months, . . . that is a beautiful billfold.  Keep up the good work.

Edited by Dwight