Machiel

Neat stitching without bended lines

Hi guys,

I'm a newby to leather hand working.

I've made a a few wallets  thus far but seem too struggle to keep an edge straight. I cat cut a straight lines out of the leather with a rotary blade but the moment I stitch the edges it is as if it pulls the leather in and therefor makes for bended lines?

Can you please assist me with tips on how to solve this and create a neater product?

Looking forward to hear your responses.

Kind regards.

If you can attach some photographs of the leather piece that has the problem, that will help us.
The problem could be a number of things, but looking a picture will help us discover the most likely solution. 

I use a wing divider to make my stitch line an appropiate distance of my edge given the thickness of my leather. I then mark my holes with pricking irons or an overstitch wheel, then I poke my holes with a rediculously sharp diamond awl. I usually use 3/4 oz veg tan or higher but have use 2/3 oz chrome before with decent success.

You got any pics? We may be able to help with some more detail.

As others have mentioned pics may help.  If you are using diamond punches it is essential to hold the punch completely perpendicular to the work surface.  I find it helps to put the punch in two previously punched holes to help line up the second punch through.  For example if you have a 6 hole punch only punch 4 new holes the second time.  Use the last two holes of the first punch to line up the next one so you only make 4 new holes if that makes sense.  I also take an extra couple seconds to visually line it up before using a mallet.  Following a scribe line from your wing dividers helps a lot.

I to can hardly understand what OP is talking about, but I think that what is being refered to is the distortion of an edge, the 'rippling' if you will, after stitching.

For that, the solution can involve a) moving the stitching back from the edge next time just a little bit b) not pulling your stitches as tight and c) beveling/sanding edges after stitching, if all else fails (that way you'll be beveling-off/sanding-off any distortion that does appear)

alternatively, you may be talking about the whole edge of a piece becoming or appearing to become warped or curved (which was previously straight) after stitching. In that case, i'd say make sure the pieces are glued properly beforehand, and as above, dont pull the stitches quite as tight. 

Not really sure, apart form that. 

You're stitching too close to the edge, or you're using thread too thick for the distance of the stitch line from the edge.  My suggestion is to use thinner thread, or move you stitch line in a bit further.  You'll never have that problem again.  You also may try cutting your piece out after stitching if possible.  Then your edge will be ready for edging and no ripples.