Okay this is really going to show how green I am. (made a wallet in highschool years and years ago, but one I cant remember what we used back then... two... it really didnt look all that good when I was done... and three... Im sure they have come out with alot more products that are better to use now even if I could remember what I used way back then)

On a wallet what type, or brand of dye would you all recommend, and would I need to apply anything other than the dye for a wallet.

Going for the dark shade with the antique leather look if that helps.

Suggestions appreciated.

There are entire books written about the art of coloring vegetable tanned carving leather. Briefly- dye is not water soluble (unless you use the Institutional dye they make for schools and prisons) and Antique is water soluble. There are two kinds of dye- alcohol based (like Tandy Pro dye) and oil based (Like Fiebings Oil Dye). My personal preference is oil dye, but that and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee. There are dozens of ways to skin a cat! After you do your coloring, you must seal the leather with a finish, and there are, again, lots of choices from Neat Lac to Super Shene and everything in between. If you can, play around with some scraps until you get the look you want, and remember, every hide is different and will accept coloring in its own special way, so don't try to follow hard and fast rules. Make it up as you go along, and trust your eye.

Johanna