Sign in to follow this  
FloridaLeatherGirl

Talk to me about rough out leather

I have sern folks say sanding/buffing creates the proper nap for rough out but darn if I can find an explaination or technique video illustrating this.   

Rough out for saddles is less fuzzy than what its line from the store.  

I have 2/3 of the Stohlman saddle making books and that dang one I DO NOT have happens to be the one that talks about how to do rough out.  And ya cant find JUST that third book for sale >:(

Tandy has a book. Well it’s sll the stohlman books combined. It runs around 170 bucks. Might be worth looking into. As for making rough out less fuzzy, I have no idea. 

16 hours ago, FloridaLeatherGirl said:

sanding/buffing creates the proper nap for rough out

Yes.

darn if I can find an explaination or technique video illustrating this.  

It's sanding. Start low grit, go to as high grit as you need.

Yes, and if it is too fuzzy from the store, get better leather.

Sorry for the few words, but you seem to have the idea down already.

On 10/25/2018 at 11:59 PM, FloridaLeatherGirl said:

I have seen folks say sanding/buffing creates the proper nap for rough out but darn if I can find an explanation or technique video illustrating this.   

I have 2/3 of the Stohlman saddle making books and that dang one I DO NOT have happens to be the one that talks about how to do rough out.  And ya cant find JUST that third book for sale >:(

A few comments from book 3, pages 466-467 and 534-535

Use a tight grained leather, firm uniform tight-fibered surface

A cabinet scraper can be used to take off the looser fibers, down to the firmer leather, use plenty of force, work in all directions

Sand the leather in a circular motion, use coarse emery cloth wrapped around a block of wood.  Sandpaper deteriorates too fast.  Sand forcefully in a circular motion

It is best to sand all saddle parts while they are flat rather than after assembly.  Only parts that show need to be sanded.

Oil, it may look like you are applying too much but it will lighten as it soaks in and evens out

Wait 24 hours, sand again

On curved surfaces, don't use a sanding block.  May need some touch-up during and after assembly.

Hope this helps you along with your project.  I looked on www.abebooks.com for volume 3, and see they start at about $300 US and go up from there! 

Tom