Sign in to follow this  
Russ498

Alternative to Gum Trag

Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative to using Gum Trag to smooth out the back of unlined the leather? When I try to make small production runs, it seems like I always get a little bit on the front which messes up the dye.   I use Fiebings Oil Pro.  

As an alternative, is there anything I can use to clean the front of the leather if I should get Gum Trag on it?  I use it to finish the edges but don't have any problems since everything is already dyed and sewn.

Edited by Russ498
Forgot something

Almost any water-soluble glue or gum will work as an alternative to tragacanth -- Arabic gum, pearl/hide/rabbit/bone glue, those gum pens that kids use for gluing ugly bits of paper to larger bits of paper in school, even PVA. Glycerin soaps (e.g. saddle soaps) will also help to wet the fibres and lubricate your burnishing tool though I don't find that they . However they will all resist dye to an extent if you get it on the front.

Matt S is right, they will all show when you dye. I always use gum trag as the last step after dyeing and before your finish coat. Doesn't show even if you get a little on the dyed portion.