jcuk

Interesting old YouTube Video - Saddlers in Ireland

Hi 

Below is an interesting video which is quite old now. It is interesting that the techniques and materials have not greatly changed!

Hope you enjoy!

JCUK

Great find JCUK! I'm no saddler but found it a fun watch while pretending to work.

Great to see a BUSM/Pearson #6 "in the wild" as it were (and a few seconds of a Singer 132K I think). First time I've seen a linen thread being rolled by hand too. Read about it as much as I could find and practiced it an awful lot but that chap makes it look as natural as falling off a log.

Never seen reins sewn directly onto a bit ring either -- only ever looped on, or attached via a buckle or hook stud. Never in my years as a hobby rider, as a groom or in any of the old books I have. Anyone know if this is a local thing (maybe even to that particular saddlery) or more widespread than my limited experience allows me to know? Would certainly make cleaning the bit tricky, and changing the bit require a trip to the saddler.

Not a saddler, but I still found the entire process fascinating to watch. Some beautiful work produced on those benches. 
I wonder if the saddlery is still around?

I LOVE these videos. I liked the way they used the French skiver. I hadn't used one like that...yet.

Jeff

aye, a good film

Made in the first third of the 1970s. Hunting with hounds became illegal in Ireland in the mid-1980s. This saddlery closed about the early 1990s afair

Hi everybody i have watched it several times as this my is main work.

Matt the reins stitched onto the bit is a horse racing thing as its a lot safer, hook studs are not allowed 

to be used they are not strong enough and have been known to break and sometimes have been known to

be pulled right out of the billet platform - we do use buckle billet ends in racing mainly on race

exercise bridles. 

Fredk not a fan of hunting with hounds myself is it still legal south of the border some people 

i know use to go there to hunt a few years ago when it got banned in the UK.

Maybe one of these are the same saddlers or not sure really hope so. 

https://www.berneys.ie

http://www.berneysaddlery.com

Hope this helps

JCUK

Very interesting video jcuk, thanks for sharing.

10 hours ago, jcuk said:

Matt the reins stitched onto the bit is a horse racing thing as its a lot safer, hook studs are not allowed 

to be used they are not strong enough and have been known to break and sometimes have been known to

be pulled right out of the billet platform - we do use buckle billet ends in racing mainly on race

exercise bridles. 

Hi JCUK,

Thanks for the explanation, very clear and informative!