PAMuzzle

Gluing leather to stitching horse?

I have an antique stitching horse that I am repairing and I want to glue leather onto the clamp.  I am using 3oz/4oz veg tan glued with contact cement.

Should I dampen the leather to form it easier around the sharp bends as I am gluing or just press and hold till cement takes hold.

Also, should I use two coats on the wood as I do when just gluing leather?

9BFE59DF-E50E-4BFC-A54D-BDE6DA31742F.thumb.jpeg.50af53b9e8efa5a1ff49ca30476e466e.jpeg

1. damp form the leather first. Let dry. Take off, then glue back on.

2. I seal wood with PVA glue. Let dry, then apply one coat of adhesive to wood, and a very, very thin coat to leather; join together

3. 2oz would be enuf for the job

Fredk,  

1 hour ago, fredk said:

2. I seal wood with PVA glue. Let dry, then apply one coat of adhesive to wood, and a very, very thin coat to leather; join together

Thanks.  The adhesive that you use on top of PVA, is that also PVA or contact cement?

PVA will do the job as will regular smelly contact adhesive

When I did mine I just did a dry fit, marked where to put glue on the horse. Put contact cement on the leather and horse attached when ready. I wet the leather just at the bend on top op the jaws as I stuck them together. Hammered with cobbler hammer and Bobs your uncle.

That looks identical to the one I have. Do you have any history on it?

Thanks fredk and Mattsbagger, will work on it tonight.

JD62 I bought it at an antique store in Virginia.  It is a J.D Randall Co. Cincinnatti, OH.   Apparently it was a lefty... then someone drilled and chiseled the hole for the clamp post, decades ago, to make it a right handed.  Seat was completely split down the center... they put metal bands around each end and across the bottom. leather strap was old and crusty.  I removed the bands, glued the seat and used 2 part epoxy putty to fill in the big hole where the clamp post was.  I formed the putty around the post now the hole fits it perfectly, instead of flopping around.  I cut a new strap for it.  Re-glued a couple loose leg cross members, restained and finished.  Now getting to glue the leather on the clamp.  Will post pic when done.

Thanks :You_Rock_Emoticon: Didn't even know where to go to research, common furniture n.p. but this is not in any of my books !

On 10/30/2018 at 8:44 PM, PAMuzzle said:

. . . Apparently it was a lefty... then someone drilled and chiseled the hole for the clamp post, decades ago, to make it a right handed.  Seat was completely split down the center... they put metal bands around each end and across the bottom. leather strap was old and crusty.  I removed the bands, glued the seat and used 2 part epoxy putty to fill in the big hole where the clamp post was.  I formed the putty around the post now the hole fits it perfectly, instead of flopping around.  I cut a new strap for it.  Re-glued a couple loose leg cross members, restained and finished.  Now getting to glue the leather on the clamp.  Will post pic when done.

That was a right bit of work to bring it back into use. May it last you a long time of pleasant leather working

It is interesting to note the actual clamp is at an angle while most of the small stitching ponies are vertical - straight, including the one I made for myself (I mean the ones that have no chair but just a flat board you sit on).

Would chrome leather work just as well? I can not remember where but I recollect reading somewhere about a concern veg tan might pick up oils, dye and what not and transfer it to the sawing piece while chrome would be more resistant and easier to clean while still providing a good grip.

Edited by LetterT

fredk...yes it was a lot of work, but I enjoyed it...hardest part was removing clamp after epoxy putty set.  It swelled and was very difficult to remove.  I put plastic tape around so epoxy would not stick.  Sanded it open so the clamp now goes in easily.

LetterT:  not sure.  I have just seen/used veg tan.  I have already glued the veg tan on....hmmm.  Then again chrome would have allowed dyed color to match the wood color....hmmm.

Finishing up the gluing.  I inserted 2 rare earth (molybdenum) magnets to each side, under the leather, for a way to hold needles when taking a break from sewing

magnets.jpg

Nice touch on the hidden magnets. I will take that onboard when/if I build a new one. Since I bamboozled my current stitching pony by myself all I did was just glue the magnet on the side, need to see about drilling a hole to make it flush.

I like the magnet hidden under the leather. Might just steel that one! I didn't think I'd like the angle but it works O.K.!

Edited by JD62

Beautiful wood color. Or is that just wet glue color?

Newby...it is a dark walnut color now after re-staining and finished with shellac.