BillinTR

Horizontal Knife Sheaths

I have been browsing this section of the forums looking for examples of a knife sheath designed to be worn horizontally on the belt rather than vertically as is most common. My son wants me to make a knife sheath for him that is for horizontal wear. Personally I don't understand the desire for such a sheath for a fixed blade knife. It seems like it would be an uncomfortable way to wear it. I have seen some examples by searching with Google but I was hoping to see something here with some commentary on the design but haven't been able to find any. Has anyone made such a sheath?

I just made a fold over sheath and instead of making a loop that runs like a "normal" sheath, I made a strap like in the pic. This allows you you scout carry for either strong or weak side. It is actually pretty comfortable when worn in the small of the back. Make it wet formed and most knives shouldn't even need a retaining strap.

20170303_211814.jpg

Edited by battlemunky

What he did.  ^^^

If you wanted too you can angle the loop to change how the sheath carries.  I use the same process for cross draw sheaths.  

I've done one like that before but my straps got wonky and I removed them, mine didn't have snaps though, snaps worry me on something I don't want to lose. Luckily it was my own and also designed for belt loop/dangler/scout carry possible.

I've made one similar to the one shown for a folding blade. Sits nice in the lower back and does not "print" so I'm happy. I like the look of scout carry but I've spent a lot of time in the bush and carryed and still carry items for tactical reasons. My biggest issue is If you slip onto your back you run the risk of hurting your back and or damaging your blade. Both of these things would not bode well. Just my 2 cents anyway

One I did for a Becker BK-16 but with a removable can pouch. Customer requested design that allows for a left or right carry by re-configuring (belt loops, pouch and knife strap are all connected with chicago screws 

Becker BK 16 Bushcraft 02.jpg

That is a nice looking sheath @Instinctive and a great little knife, I have 2 :) 

4 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

That is a nice looking sheath @Instinctive and a great little knife, I have 2 :) 

Thanks. Crazy Horse Water Buffalo. Love working with the stuff and the pull-up look is fantastic with it. I don't have a Becker myself. Just 4 knives from local makers :-)

Hello everyone, this may not be the proper post for this, but where can I purchase Chicago screws with nylon washers for a QuickDraw Buck sheath I’m making? Thanks in advance!

I pretty sure the short answer to this is no but there should be a simple solution for you

Harward stores like Home Depot, etc. sell nylon nuts and bolts. You should be able to use a standard chicago screw and just purchase a nylon nut that slides over the screw post. Should be about the right thickness too. You may need to drill out the nut.

Hope that's clear.

In the future likely better to have posted this as a separate question. Things can get buried in these post easily.

Thank you

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:23 PM, Sebasopg15 said:

Hello everyone, this may not be the proper post for this, but where can I purchase Chicago screws with nylon washers for a QuickDraw Buck sheath I’m making? Thanks in advance!

You might also try some of the bigger "got it all" companies like McMaster-Carr....

On 1/24/2019 at 8:34 AM, c2369zulu said:

You might also try some of the bigger "got it all" companies like McMaster-Carr....

thanks!!

Here is one I recently made for the Becker BK-2.

20190128_170905.thumb.jpg.b91bf700bb3ce2fd38be82a2ed5203c0.jpg

That is damn nice @c2369zulu. Love those TKC scales too..beats the hell out of those grivory ones from the factory.

Edited by battlemunky