G'day All

made my first knife sheath for a leather knife I bought on a recent trip to Japan.

Just something simple to stop the knife edge cutting things on my work bench (me). I had a piece of stamped leather laying around so I glued a welt inbetween and slicked up the edges. Not stitched as shouldnt be subject to any hard wear. 

IMG_20181028_142647.jpg

IMG_20181028_142701.jpg

Ooooo! That is a pretty knife. Is it for skiving?

Cutting leather, and also skiving I guess if I was good enough lol

19 hours ago, noobleather said:

Not stitched

Ahhh ya mug! Stitch that thing!

Hahaha yeah will get round to it

22 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Ooooo! That is a pretty knife. Is it for skiving?

That is a Japanese skiving knife. As the OP says, he bought on a recent trip to Japan. I have one and just can't get used to skiving with it; I end up going back to my regular skivers.

Thats a nice looking sheath for it too

Hahaha yeah will get round to it stitching it Rokoboy.

Can skive and cut with it.But my skiving skills aren't that good.it was cheap and I bought it along with some kitchen knives from a lovely 74 year old lady in a shop that was 70 years old.

Search YouTube for 'Japanese Leather Knife' There are several videos showing these types of knives and how they are used

I have one, and use it mainly for straight cuts and skiving. Many people find them a bit strange to use at first, but they're OK once you get the hang of them

I have one I use only for skiving. The offset handle adds for a nice knuckle clearance when running close perpendicular to your cutting surface.  I don't think I can use a safety beveler or super skiver from tandy anymore lol

Cool!

I like that sheath quite a bit. I have one of those type knives and I owe it a sheath. I am intimidated by skiving pretty badly and have gotten some pretty good skiving in with this, its just a matter of trying on a ton of scrap. Mine sharpened up to light saber really easily too and has held its edge with nothing but stropping.

*cough*sew the sheath*end cough* :P 

On 06/11/2018 at 5:58 AM, battlemunky said:

I like that sheath quite a bit. I have one of those type knives and I owe it a sheath. I am intimidated by skiving pretty badly and have gotten some pretty good skiving in with this, its just a matter of trying on a ton of scrap. Mine sharpened up to light saber really easily too and has held its edge with nothing but stropping.

Thanks

On 11/5/2018 at 3:58 PM, battlemunky said:

Heh.  I actually have a sheath I made for a knife that I had intended to sew, and ended up not sewing, and it has been just fine for over a year now.  I suspect this one will as well, especially since there really isn't a lot of room on the edge to sew without getting into the stamping.  Sheath came out really nice!  If it does ever separate, just make another with the room for stitching!

YinTx

I have a key fob attachment piece I made that is just glued and it has been 2 years and is showing no signs of stopping. I meant sew it for the aesthetics and practice.

I like it! It's cute:) The tooling is nice too.

Sam

5 hours ago, YinTx said:

Heh.  I actually have a sheath I made for a knife that I had intended to sew, and ended up not sewing, and it has been just fine for over a year now.  I suspect this one will as well, especially since there really isn't a lot of room on the edge to sew without getting into the stamping.  Sheath came out really nice!  If it does ever separate, just make another with the room for stitching!

YinTx

Thanks YinTx

The knife just sits on the messy desk that is my leather working area.So not a lot of wear and tear on the sheath so it should last. It was more a learning project than a specific sheath project. I had the tooled leather piece for a bullet loading strip but on the spur of the moment I chopped it up and made the sheath.so I was happy just to get my head around the process of cutting out a welt,sizing it to the blade and gluing it together.I surprised my self with the fact it works well and I am looking forward to making some stitched sheaths for a couple of Bowie knife blanks I have laying around(once I make them some handles lol)