JLSleather

WHO got the stuff?

Looking for something with teh marbled look -- like you'd see in horween or a pullup leather -- but in a veg tan that will wet form.  ?? Checked about 20 places with no luck.  Only need enough to do a knife sheath for a fella, but I'd take a bit more if I could find it.  Not interested in a side, but might be willing to buy a bend or double shoulder if it was nice.  Something in gray - blue - slate  type shades?  In about a 6, 7 or 8 oz (though I could live with a 5)

Something like this would work, if it was either veg tanned in 6-8 oz, or if it was thinner I could glue it to some veg tanned ... this is the approx color and effect I want.

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Oxford-XCEL-Blue-Ink-Pre-Cut-12x-24

32 minutes ago, koreric75 said:

I have a bottle, but couldn't really get a pull up effect, seems I don't know how to use it?  Be happy to try again if anyone can suggest techniques...

YinTx

I'm stumped. All I found was these. https://www.rmleathersupply.com/collections/view-all-leather/products/pueblo-veg-tanned-leather-1oz-1-2mm-made-in-italy

https://www.rmleathersupply.com/collections/view-all-leather/products/waxy-veg-tanned-leather-4-5oz-1-8mm-

Both a bit on the light side andnonenis waxy. District leather supply had a small piece of the Pueblo in heavier thickness in a gray color. But I'm unsure about the streakiness from the picture. 

How about a piece of Horween Round Up? It's a veg-tanned horse leather in about 10 colours and has a great pull-up effect. A bit thin and floppy for a knife sheath on its own but if you line it with some stiffer veg it's make a very striking knife sheath. Only problem is it comes as a double horse front (about equal to a double shoulder), which is probably more leather than you want to buy for a couple little jobs. You may be able to find someone who will sell you a smaller piece (likely for 4x the $ per SQFT though).

http://www.aacrack.co.uk/tannnage-ranges/horween/horween-round-up.html

13 minutes ago, Matt S said:

Horween Round Up?

Nice looking stuff, and that IS the marbled look I'm interested in. A bit thick, though, by the time you glue to something else it's a bit much for this knife (blade about 4 1/4").  Marking them for later, though ;)

2 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

I'm stumped

I was there first :o  That first link looks nice.  This is basically something I'm doing for a guy who ordered something ELSE and who was so durn friendly I agreed to make him a knife sheath too. He isn't too worried about beauty, just wants his knife protected while brush stomping.  Between that and the marbled handle, got me thinking "pull up" leathers.  Sheaths aren't my "thing", but it's a case for a nice knife belonging to a nice guy, so ... 

20181028_214841.jpgNice lookin' knife, so gonna give him something he can actually like ;)

Leather4craft.co.uk sell Horween in small quantities and also offcut's

https://leather4craft.co.uk/product-category/animal/horse 

11 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Something like this would work, if it was either veg tanned in 6-8 oz, or if it was thinner I could glue it to some veg tanned ... this is the approx color and effect I want.

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Oxford-XCEL-Blue-Ink-Pre-Cut-12x-24

This is chrome tan unfortunately.

It does come in a 3-4 oz and we will cut whatever sqft you would need. We will however split it down more if you need. I am not sure how thin we can go on that though.

Hopefully this helps some.

Acadia Leather has some nice distressed and pull up leather at reasonable cost. I buy some from them for wallets and bags.

33 minutes ago, TonySFLDLTHR said:

We will however split it down more if you need.

Young gal just told me that on the phone, too ;)  Sad part is, I could have PAINTED a piece of HO and been DUN by now :o

Keeping this stuff in mind, though, as well as the glue that girl was telling me about for use with oil tanned leathers.

11 minutes ago, JKHelms said:

Acadia Leather has some nice distressed and pull up

Yep, was lookin' at this.  Not gonna work on THIS project, but I do like the look of this stuff

https://www.acadialeather.com/product-page/scotch-pine-crazyweather-5oz

27 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Yep, was lookin' at this.  Not gonna work on THIS project, but I do like the look of this stuff

https://www.acadialeather.com/product-page/scotch-pine-crazyweather-5oz

Looks pretty close to this

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Oxford-XCEL-Sides-London-Green

or

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Oxford-XCEL-Sides-Kelly-Green

I have worked with the Blue Ink and it was really pretty great to work with...was even able to work the edges over pretty well. Wish I would have taken a picture of them.

@TonySFLDLTHR I mentioned it to that girl this morning, but again -- might mention to teh IT guys... clicking those links BEGINS to open that page, then quickly redirects to a page to log in.  Just irritating.  I'm pretty easy to work with, but I can see some people gtting irritated and shopping elsewhere.

29 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

@TonySFLDLTHR I mentioned it to that girl this morning, but again -- might mention to teh IT guys... clicking those links BEGINS to open that page, then quickly redirects to a page to log in.  Just irritating.  I'm pretty easy to work with, but I can see some people gtting irritated and shopping elsewhere.

I will go right now to talk to the rest of our team on the website.

This is an interesting point, I have not heard of anyone having this issue. I have tried 3 different browsers where I cleared all history, cookies, cache and can't replicate this. I do have the website popping up the email newsletter pop up on roll out, but not the page redirecting. What browser are you using?

clearing and checking ...

weird - not getting it now.  Got it for several days -- even when logged in it would divert to that page and ask for login.  Recognized my login, allowed me to put stuf in the cart, then would ask me to login even though it showed me logged in (?!@#).

Tried it both ways, using links above, seems okay now -- logged in or not. :dunno:

Latest version of Chrome.

25 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

weird - not getting it now.  Got it for several days -- even when logged in it would divert to that page and ask for login.  Recognized my login, allowed me to put stuf in the cart, then would ask me to login even though it showed me logged in (?!@#).

Tried it both ways, using links above, seems okay now -- logged in or not. :dunno:

Latest version of Chrome.

Well luckily it is fixed. I can't think of why it would do that, because we don't lock our items to those who are only logged in. Thank you for pointing out so that we could look and see if it was on our end. It is much easier to fix problems when we know what they are.

18 hours ago, TonySFLDLTHR said:

pointing out so that we could look and see if it was on our end. I

Well, that was the idea.;)

Getting that same thing this morning, though.  Could be on my end I suppose, but its ONLY your site.

When I click the link above 

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Oxford-XCEL-Sides-London-Green

it DOES go to that page.  Then in a second (or two) it auto redirects to 

https://checkout.springfieldleather.com/Springfield-Quickstart/Denali-Quickstart/checkout.ssp?origin=home&is=login&login=T#login-register

:dunno:

Did I make a point of logging OUT when I was done?  Checking ...

Edited by JLSleather

Alrightey, then ...

I was logged in, and got the error.  Must not have logged off. Not sure why it would send me to the logon page when I AM logged in.

But when I log OFF (or out) then the links DO work and I do not get redirected to the logon page. 

Incidentally, give that kid I talked to yesterday a raise.... (drat- still better at remembering a girl's voice than her name).  Her knowledgeable and honest answers to my questions talked me OUT OF buying that little bit of those leathers - wasn't the right call for the job - but likely results in LARGER future purchases from us.

On 10/30/2018 at 8:24 AM, JLSleather said:

Alrightey, then ...

I was logged in, and got the error.  Must not have logged off. Not sure why it would send me to the logon page when I AM logged in.

But when I log OFF (or out) then the links DO work and I do not get redirected to the logon page. 

Incidentally, give that kid I talked to yesterday a raise.... (drat- still better at remembering a girl's voice than her name).  Her knowledgeable and honest answers to my questions talked me OUT OF buying that little bit of those leathers - wasn't the right call for the job - but likely results in LARGER future purchases from us.

I will keep an eye on it. I still can't reproduce this action.

That is good to hear about your call in. I will see if I can't find out who took your call. ;) 

Sorry to jump in on the thread but I've been trying to research SLC's Oxford Xcel. What tannery makes it and is it similar to Horween fixing to start working on leather again and have always had good luck ordering from SLC 

On 10/29/2018 at 12:26 PM, JLSleather said:

I've been having the same thing happen to me whenever I go to the Springfield page...loads up for a couple hundred milliseconds and immediately redirects to the login page. Yes, it is frustrating...and if a cookie is causing it, then SL should fix their cookies.

On 6/24/2019 at 6:50 PM, TonyRV2 said:

I've been having the same thing happen to me whenever I go to the Springfield page...loads up for a couple hundred milliseconds and immediately redirects to the login page. Yes, it is frustrating...and if a cookie is causing it, then SL should fix their cookies.

same for me.

i have noted this issue to slc team maybe a year or so ago. 

WE ARE FRUSTRATED. WE ARE THE CUSTOMERS

The problem comes from the quickspark system that they are using..

in the page code / site code it is this area ..
"/Springfield-Quickstart/Denali-Quickstart-test/"..it is "fixable"..
if SLC are monitoring this thread..?
they ( their webmaster / webdev ) should deal with it..the site is "set up" in such a way as to "break" their site, from an incoming customer point of view.
HTH :)

NB..I'm not looking for "the gig"..

Edited by mikesc