jcuk

Sorry to bring bad news

Hi

Sorry to bring bad news but, I did hear the rumour a few weeks ago https://leatherbiz.com/fullitem.aspx?id=149446

I have heard they are trying to resolve this but I fear the worst. 

Sorry

JCUK

Sedgwick as well, that will leave a big gap if no white knight buys them

That would be a shame if they fold, Sedgwick finishes some lovely leathers, though I understand that they haven't tanned anything in years.

Not 100% sure but thought it was sedgwick that i looked up and they had a 5 skin minimum order at over £2000 so only wanted to deal with wholesale and a report on Google search states they failed due to lack of sales, what our US guys would say a "Catch 22 situation"

40 minutes ago, chrisash said:

Not 100% sure but thought it was sedgwick that i looked up and they had a 5 skin minimum order at over £2000 so only wanted to deal with wholesale and a report on Google search states they failed due to lack of sales, what our US guys would say a "Catch 22 situation"

Sounds like Sedgwick, or at least the terms they had a few years ago after they merged with Claytons. Abbey England sells Sedgwick skins individually, as does Tandy... at least for now... If you want real English bridle I like Baker's. 5th-generation family owned, pit tanned in England from English hides. And they'll sell you a single piece.

A consortium of 3 suppliers including Abbey England, Kilger Lederfabrik and another hide supplier have saved Sedgewicks according to Equestrian Trade News yesterday.

5 hours ago, fivewayswelshcobs said:

A consortium of 3 suppliers including Abbey England, Kilger Lederfabrik and another hide supplier have saved Sedgewicks according to Equestrian Trade News yesterday.

That's great. I would hope that'll filter into a lower retail price for their leather but I doubt it.

Hope they can pull it off, don't know it any of you have ever used

leather from Samuel Sharpe,  I did many moons ago really liked it,

would go as far to say its the nicest leather i have used.

I went to the Tannery and chose the leather myself this was

when they were still at Stony Stratford near Milton Keynes.

Sadly they probably will not be saved i still have the odd bit of scrap

lying around so i still cut and stitch just because it was so good

to work with also i have a bridle i made for myself must be 20 years old

it was stored for 15 years don't know where i was on some travels still in great condition.