Starting a new padfolio for myself. Sometimes I forget that the reason I got into this is for me. I am going to be launching my own store soon, (SUG Leather) online based, and wanted something to hold every day that links my professional side to what I love!

IMG_20181028_211911870.jpg

@Sheilajeanne I think it is a good design for covers. Leaves a nice open spot for other things like branding or maybe a weave. (Plus I still have yet to aquire skill in freehand drawing, but working on that)

This is what I have done today on it. All critics are welcome to comment! This is first use of bar grounder, I know I really need work there.

IMG_20181029_193612504.jpg

Why? I think that the lines from the bar grounder look nice. Swoopy. 

‘I think it looks really nice so far.

Thats a whole latta bar grounding, you're going to get the practice you want on this one alone!

Look forward to seeing the final result.

YinTx

4 hours ago, YinTx said:

Thats a whole latta bar grounding, you're going to get the practice you want on this one alone!

Look forward to seeing the final result.

YinTx

Well you guys will see it all, this is the first peice I have taken pictures of during process and posted as I work. I will be updating you guys after every day of work.

4 hours ago, YinTx said:

7 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Why? I think that the lines from the bar grounder look nice. Swoopy. 

‘I think it looks really nice so far.

Thank you. Overall it's not bad, I did stanp some ground beef in some areas, but one those mistakes that most would not notice except those that know the problems of going stamp happy

After moisture has dried out over night

IMG_20181030_045116550.jpg

Looking really good. I hope my efforts will come out this good. I have 2 to make that I am planning give as Christmas presents.

@Rockoboy I am sure your efforts will turn out fine. We are our biggest critics and just gotta look at our work and learn from our mistakes, even if no one else can spot them

@Killerwork thank you for your kind words. I will post pics when/if I manage to get them done.

@Rockoboy looking forward to seeing them, I always need inspiration lol

nice job. I really like how deep your knife cuts are, that is something I need to work on.

1 hour ago, bdpeters said:

nice job. I really like how deep your knife cuts are, that is something I need to work on.

It took me a long time to figure it out, mostly figuring out that the tandy blades really need sharpened and strapped to a great finish, stoned up to 2000 grit, then strapped on brown paste, then white, then green. Now smooth as butter. Plus I have a bad habbit of rushing things and not allowing enough time for water to fully settle in the leather and even out. 

I think it looks very nice so far. But there's something I'm still trying to figure out: did you remove the leather from the corners of the design, or is it just that the leather is so pale, it's hard to tell it's there? :o

If so, neat little creative 'take' on the design! What are you planning to put where the corners are?

@Sheilajeanne It does kind of look like it's gone, I have not noticed that. :unsure: I was planning on doing basket weave in corners but now you got me thinking about removal and inlay of something that would really pop like stingray or ostrich or something!

I need thoughts and opinions here. I am concerned about overall strenght and regidity of it since I do plan on using this at work and will be carrying it around for 8-10 hours a day.

Yes, that would be neat, but I do think it would damage the strength of the pad. So, probably NOT such a great idea, especially given the heavy use the pad will take!

I just took a look back at the original pattern, and it has silver conchos in the corners. The leather has been tooled with a background stamp, maybe A 104. It almost makes the corners look like they are an inlay of cork!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Yeah, I am thinking about doing a basket weave with a camo border. 

@Sheilajeanne I am looking forward to seeing your design on this. I think it is interesting to see how different people can do their tooling differently.

So been heavy at it the past couple nights till I was to tired to post, here are the pics up to current state. Enjoy :)

IMG_20181102_175020964.jpg

There is more but it's not letting me post and not sure why. They are under 1mb

This is where I am at currently. @Sheilajeanne I decided to do corners with basket weave, what do you think?

IMG_20181102_193639645.jpg

Basketweave was a good choice.  This is a pretty big bit of tooling!

YinTx

Great job!

@YinTx yes it was a lot of tooling, a task I was not actually prepared for when I chose to do this. But well worth the sore hands. It's done!

IMG_20181103_204024110.jpg

IMG_20181103_204031415.jpg

Excuse the messy background, my shop is a basement storage room lol

IMG_20181103_204050048.jpg