grayeagleleather

Anyone know what these are or want to buy them?

I think the maker's name is English and Huber? I got these as part of craigslist purchase years ago and I don't even know what they are for.  I just found out I owe the IRS a ton of money so I am selling everything I am not using.

knife.jpg

Edited by grayeagleleather

It is a head knife, like half of the circular knife you were offering. Its similar to an Osborne no. 73.

Best Harry

I'll take the head knife. Give me a few minutes to get an idea what it's worth, then I will PM you an offer.

Grayeagle, what does it say on the blade - need to know the brand name!

Anyone here know that brand?

Edit: never mind - found it! Good stuff, a real piece of history! His business was taken over by Osborne Leather upon his death::... http://americansocietyofarmscollectors.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Engish-and-Huber-knives-The-Sheffield-Works-B076_Stapleton.pdf

Edited by Sheilajeanne

English and Huber, think they disappeared way way back.  Supposed to be very good if properly maintained

Yes, see the link I posted above! Piece of history, and it looks to be in good shape. Maybe my offer won't be good enough!  :P

Their Bowie knives are much sought-after collectors items!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I was just looking at that page! :D

I’ve seen them in cobblers tools and occasionally in saddlery tools but I think they were used to trim soles.

Its actually a carpet layer's knife

But I use one for cutting leather

If its blunt-ish on the outside edge, its a carpet layer's knife, if its sharp on that edge as well as inside the hook then its a bird's head knife

The kink in the knife tang is so the carpet layer can trim the carpet right at the skirting

Edited by fredk

https://www.artisanleather.co.uk/saddlers-single-head-knife-1716-p.html

I understand that English and Huber disappeared prior to fitted carpets being popular, BUT I am happy to be wrong.

I know the carpet layers knife is a hook knife, and the picture looks to have a bit of sharpening on the hook, but if the outside blade is sharpened, I'd still go fo Head Knife. (never head Bird's head knife before, its a better description)

H

It's for cleaning horse hooves.  

10 hours ago, Jaymack said:

Doesn't look like any hoofpick I've ever used.

13 hours ago, Jaymack said:

God, NO! What you are thinking of is a hoofpick, and it does NOT look like that! 

A blacksmith's knife is something else again. It's used for trimming the sole: https://barehoofcare.com/index.php/product/left-or-right-handed-hoof-knife/

Here are a number of different hoof pick designs: https://www.google.ca/search?q=hoof+pick&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjkrNP41fTeAhWMm1kKHaF7AbUQsAR6BAgDEAE&biw=1236&bih=605

I can tell you from years of experience the one for sale on Etsy for $58. is s piece of crap, while the most traditional ones are the best ( the one selling for .75 cents!) for getting the job done. If you've got a hoof that is packed solid with clay, you need something that will give you some leverage to get it cleaned out, and a straight pick does it much better than one that's curved, which will tend to just slide off!

Edited by Sheilajeanne