First project after a good few months.

Not super happy with it, a few mistakes made that I could have easily avoided...

But it looks nice so here it is!

Made from kangaroo leather around 2oz. Hand stitched as normal. YKK zippers.

The flowers in the picture are from a Jacaranda tree in my back yard, very pretty this time of year :)

IMG_20181021_124629_243.jpg

IMG_20181021_124629_238.jpg

Nice job. I like the stitch colour, it matches(?) the zipper tape colour. Is that leather colour English Tan?

Looks good to me, no need to feel bad about that one bit.

Thanks guys, most of the horrors are pretty well covered.

I got some shop debris under the outer panel when I was gluing it up and had to pull it apart to separate after the glue dried... which made a mess of the stiffened board underneath it. And stretched the leather a little so now it looks a little ripples.

I also used a tape width that was too narrow, so I had to try and stitch too close to the edge to catch it (not even sure I did in some places, if I'm honest) which meant that on the inside bottom left you can see where I missed the internal liner entirely. Oops...

Also didn't get the zipper to lay flat enough around the top right corner there on the outer photo so you can see the zipper rippling under the leather.

Other than all of that... It is alright. Haha

The leather is the ochre colour glazed kangaroo from birdsall leather. It's my favourite tan colour they do.

The inside is their dark brown glazed... not sure what it is but second darkest in their glazed range (not the havana).

The thread is just plain old white which I used to contrast on the interior :)

I'm making one too. Craftsmangus pattern? I couldn't find zipper tape so I'm using cheaper zips I cut down. But in function it's the same. Yours looks better than mine will. Haha 

One question, did you make the exterior the same shape (in the folded part) as the interior where the zipper starts and ends? Mine seems to look odd being just the square cut piece. Like you can see the flesh side of the leather. 

Is this the case for you? Or just when the wallet is open?

2 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

I'm making one too. Craftsmangus pattern? I couldn't find zipper tape so I'm using cheaper zips I cut down. But in function it's the same. Yours looks better than mine will. Haha 

Wuta pattern, the acrylic set with the spacer block for shaping the zipper around onto the inner.

2 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

One question, did you make the exterior the same shape (in the folded part) as the interior where the zipper starts and ends? Mine seems to look odd being just the square cut piece. Like you can see the flesh side of the leather. 

Is this the case for you? Or just when the wallet is open?

I know exactly what you mean...

I cut it square per the pattern and can just see a bit of it... it bugs me.

Using thinner leather helped (pattern called for 1.6mm or 4oz, I used .8mm or 2oz), because it didn't have to make such a wide turn at the spine... but came with other problems (like being too thin to cover the Puckering of the zipper tape around corners so looks rippled)

But I looked around on the web and noticed two things:

1. There are a tonne of wallets with just exactly that problem... using thinner leather seems to make it less obvious.

2. Wallets that don't seem to have that problem are stitched all around, where my stitch line stopped at the spine... if I had tried to stitch all around  it should pull the zipper together with the flesh side of the outer.

Access was a problem. Trying to get even stitches around there would have been a folly.

Next time I'll try to make one with the gussets cut where they go around the zipper pouch inside the wallet... that will mean I can open it up wider for stitching. Then sew the gussets together in the centre of the wallet and edge finish them... access does not seem to be a problem then, because the zipper section in the middle tends to move easily back and forward.

Ah, yup... I think the easier option will be to add a bit of thin lining to that particular area of the outer. I may try shaping the outer like the interior is shaped and see if I can figure a way around the center pouch. Got some thinking to do 

looks very nice to me. i esp like the interior.

Is that the 965 acrylic pattern set? Along with the zipper thing?

Thank you for the link.