chrisash

Is it possible to make a embossing wheel using tinkercad

Is it possible to make a 3d Embossing wheel using a STL file of say a dog onto a embossing wheel

I can see how you make the cylinder and how you could make a text wheel, but no idea on a 3D stl file or any other way to do it

Basically it would have to fit around the wheel and be negative i presume

I do have Corel X8 as well as tinkercad if that helps though not a expert on either, but getting a 3D printer "Ender3" in a couple of weeks

This would be an interesting exercise. I guess it might come down to the skill of the programmer. From the little I know about 3D printers (I saw one once, my history come from laser cutting programs which are obviously 2D) I reckon I might be possible.

Perhaps this video  holds the secret you want? 

Hi

No I have seen this one unfortunatly it only uses shapes that are built in to get the effect

What i want to do is use a design with a .STL format which can be imported into Tinkercad and have that wraped around the cylinder

The Youtube and my text book only show how to do it with tinkercad shapes like above or Text

Other 3D software might do it but outside my price range apart from maybe the free sketchup software

Can you make a cylinder and then say, a triangle, extrude it to the dimensions you want it and then add it to your cylinder and mirror it over a certain amount of degrees? Sorry, I'm not familiar with Tinkercad...and once you get the triangle figured out, repeat the process with a dog.

6 hours ago, chrisash said:

Hi

No I have seen this one unfortunatly it only uses shapes that are built in to get the effect

What i want to do is use a design with a .STL format which can be imported into Tinkercad and have that wraped around the cylinder

The Youtube and my text book only show how to do it with tinkercad shapes like above or Text

Other 3D software might do it but outside my price range apart from maybe the free sketchup software

Ah, I see. Well, too bad the easy answer is not an answer at all! Back to the drawing board...

Could this over at Shapeways be a solution for you? 
<https://design.shapeways.com/>
Apparently it seems possible in that program, as discussed in this forum post: <https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/blender-wrapping-a-shape-around-a-cylinder.2285/>

Thanks DJ but looks like propriatery software from that firm, but thanks anyway

I don't think that tinkercad would be the best software for this due to its limitation. You could try http://3dp.rocks/lithophane/ which lets you import an image and overlay it on different shapes. It's pretty primitive but could work.

Thanks Sam thats a useful software. not exactly what i wanted but gives great results for other uses in the future

This Youtube shows what it can do

Edited by chrisash

Any proper 3d application like 3d studio max or Maya can extrude a black and white image and apply it to a cylinder they way you want.

Can they for instance make a basket weave with gentle 3D progress from shallow to high levels of impressions onto a embossing wheel like Tandy or Bunkhouse seen here

https://www.shop.bunkhousetools.com/Embossing-Wheels_c3.htm 

This is what i am trying to make

Edited by chrisash