nstarleather

HAAS Tanneries Large Scrap

I've got some large Scrap from Tanneries HAAS. I purchased this as scrap from a high-end shoe company.

These are 3-3.5oz leathers with a soft hand (the pebble grain ones seem a little stiffer/thicker). Most pieces are at least a couple square feet some are much larger. I have:

• 2 different shades of smooth brown ($20 per lb)

• Dark brown with a pebble grain embossing (since the embossing stops part way on some pieces selling at $10 per pound)

• Black pebble grain ($20 per lb)

• Black smooth ($20 per lb)

• A small quantity of a golden tan($20 per lb)

• Some smooth Olive ($12 per lb).

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1308.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

Roughly how many pounds is an avg. piece of these beautiful leathers?

yup a silly measurement for leather like going into a sweet shop and asking for a foot of jelly beans

3 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Roughly how many pounds is an avg. piece of these beautiful leathers?

So square footage like you're looking at a cost of roughly 4-4.5 feet per lb.

2 hours ago, chrisash said:

yup a silly measurement for leather like going into a sweet shop and asking for a foot of jelly beans

It's not rocket science 16oz to 1lb.  3oz this leather means 16 divided by 3= 4.51, So roughly 4.5 feet per lb.

Most scrap is sold by the pound since measuring odd shaped pieces of scrap is pretty hard to do accurately, I'm not a big tannery with laser measuring machines...

3 hours ago, chrisash said:

I expect that Mike doesn't have a measuring machine in his factory, nor would it be very convenient for him to measure each piece. He does this largely as a service to small-scale leatherworkers so they can access some interesting leathers at a moderate investment, and as a small revenue stream for his business to sell off the parts of large volume surplus deals that doesn't suit their product range.

Before the advent of accurate leather-measuring machines leather often was sold by the pound, since it's an easy thing to measure, easy to understand, and easy to check. (1lb on the tannery's scale is the same as 1lb on your scales but how do I know that the 24.5SQFT on the side I just bought is actually 24.5SQFT without building a large 1ft measuring grid?). Some traditional tanneries (Baker's of Colyton being one example) still sell certain hides by the pound. One of the dealers I visit regularly sells mixed scrap from the shoe trade by the lb, often some really great stuff. I would counter that square footage is a far-from-perfect measurement too, as much as cubic feet isn't always a useful measurement for a tree. A 1.5" trouser belt is about under 1SQFT, but I'd have great trouble getting one out of a 2SQFT horse shell!

You might have never bought a foot of jellybeans but I wouldn't be surprised if you've bought a yard of ale before! ;-)

We have a leather shop here that mostly caters to shomakers but they get all kind of scarps and unused pieces from the same sort of people - shoe makers.  While they do let costumers to go through each piece and measure when charging they will actually measure the weight and charge by kilogram, as odd as it sounds.

7 minutes ago, LetterT said:

We have a leather shop here that mostly caters to shomakers but they get all kind of scarps and unused pieces from the same sort of people - shoe makers.  While they do let costumers to go through each piece and measure when charging they will actually measure the weight and charge by kilogram, as odd as it sounds.

18 minutes ago, Matt S said:

I expect that Mike doesn't have a measuring machine in his factory, nor would it be very convenient for him to measure each piece. He does this largely as a service to small-scale leatherworkers so they can access some interesting leathers at a moderate investment, and as a small revenue stream for his business to sell off the parts of large volume surplus deals that doesn't suit their product range.

Before the advent of accurate leather-measuring machines leather often was sold by the pound, since it's an easy thing to measure, easy to understand, and easy to check. (1lb on the tannery's scale is the same as 1lb on your scales but how do I know that the 24.5SQFT on the side I just bought is actually 24.5SQFT without building a large 1ft measuring grid?). Some traditional tanneries (Baker's of Colyton being one example) still sell certain hides by the pound. One of the dealers I visit regularly sells mixed scrap from the shoe trade by the lb, often some really great stuff. I would counter that square footage is a far-from-perfect measurement too, as much as cubic feet isn't always a useful measurement for a tree. A 1.5" trouser belt is about under 1SQFT, but I'd have great trouble getting one out of a 2SQFT horse shell!

You might have never bought a foot of jellybeans but I wouldn't be surprised if you've bought a yard of ale before! ;-)

I knew I wasn't crazy...

Thanks Mike

Is there a minimum poundage purchase?

Edited by Scoutmom103

lbs of leather is a very traditional method of selling leather.   You're not crazy at all.  

In fact, when buying blue salted hides, it's not unusual to specify Cubic Meters.  Why?  because hides are transported in containers.  A 20 ft container has a volume of 33 CBM, and a 40 ft container has 67 CBM.  
I've even heard of selling leather by the "barrel" or ''butt" which is how some wet hides/leathers were transported prior to containers. 

7 minutes ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Thanks Mike

Is there a minimum poundage purchase?

One pound of any of the colors.  Is fine by me.

6 minutes ago, SolarLeatherMachines said:

lbs of leather is a very traditional method of selling leather.   You're not crazy at all.  

In fact, when buying blue salted hides, it's not unusual to specify Cubic Meters.  Why?  because hides are transported in containers.  A 20 ft container has a volume of 33 CBM, and a 40 ft container has 67 CBM.  
I've even heard of selling leather by the "barrel" or ''butt" which is how some wet hides/leathers were transported prior to containers. 

I've never bought scrap any other way.

What’s a blue salted hide? Why is it blue? Is it raw and that’s why it’s salted? 

I sound like a five year old at a science fair. Lol :lol:

If this is similar to the Haas I bought a while back from Mike...... It is beautiful great smelling stuff. 

Buy as much as you can afford.

I'd get some but I'm saving up for a car for the wife.

7 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

What’s a blue salted hide? Why is it blue? Is it raw and that’s why it’s salted? 

There is a point in the industrial tanning process when all leather is blue, only later after additional processing  does it take on the color we see in the end product. I could be wrong, my knowledge of the tanning process is pretty much zero.

As a popular song here goes: If they lied to me I am laying to you...

Edited by LetterT

8 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

It’s called “wet blue” basically a pre-tanning that keeps the hides from rotting.   SB Foot leather arrive to them in that stage:

http://www.sbfoot.com/process.html

How many pounds of the golden tan do you have?

1 hour ago, Roustaboutgoods said:

How many pounds of the golden tan do you have?

Probably 2-3, I can check on Monday.

Yes I’d like that pile. Just let me know. Thanks

Lisa

So it’s a kind of rawhide, using a salt that is blue, to keep the hides from rotting. Right?

2 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

So it’s a kind of rawhide, using a salt that is blue, to keep the hides from rotting. Right?

More like pre-tanned...it’s basically that blue grey color that you sometimes see in work gloves.

K. Thanks.

5 hours ago, niakulah said:

Hi Mike,
Would you say that it is as soft as the HAAS Barenia? Or softer?

Substantially softer 

On 11/3/2018 at 1:48 PM, Roustaboutgoods said:

Yes I’d like that pile. Just let me know. Thanks

Lisa

It’s just over 4lbs but I can call it 4 if that works for you.

Dark brown with a pebble grain embossing (since the embossing stops part way on some pieces selling at $10 per pound)

What would S&H to 46034 be on 4 lbs of the above leather?

1 hour ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Dark brown with a pebble grain embossing (since the embossing stops part way on some pieces selling at $10 per pound)

What would S&H to 46034 be on 4 lbs of the above leather?

$12 should cover you, you're fairly close

Pebble Black has sold!