Willb2862

Leather weight for holster

Going try my hand at a holster for my 1911 in the near future.  Being a newbie to the craft,  I have been researching the process.  Maybe I'm overly optimistic,  but the process seems fairly straightforward for simple designs.  Im struggling on selecting the proper weight leather however. I have seen recommendations run the gambit from 4/5 on up to 9/10. Perhaps my lack of experience is causing me to miss some nuance in the differnt holster designs that makes one weight work for a particular holster, but impractical for another. Im looking to make is a modified avenger style, using a paddle instead of belt loops. Again, for a full size 1911. I plan to incorporate a stiffener with a narrow strap across the back for mounring hardware,  wrapping around to a traditional style stiffener on the front (1 piece).  What weight leather would you recommend and why? If my neophyte status is causing to miss some obvious problem,  please educate me! Thanks

for a full size, I wouldn't use less than 7/8 oz.  Many prefer 8/9 oz, but I think if you're using a reinforcement panel 7/8 will be fine.  Maybe a bit heavier for the paddle itself, depending on what youre using there -- leather only?  kydex?  metal?

I was going to use kydex for the paddle. I like the slim profile of kydex and find the preformed ones fit my hip well and are comfortable for me. Thanks for the advice!!

I use four oz lined on all my holsters.  I won't build an unlined one anymore due to the strength and rigidity that comes from lining.  It's almost like wood when its dry, and there is "click" retention on most firearms.  That would pair nicely with your kydex paddle.

Is there much call for Holsters in Greece, I thought they were tight on arm's control like most of the EU

Thanks for the info Mike.  Might I ask what you line your holsters with?

I'm not Mike, but I line my holsters with goat skin or the lightest calf skin I can find. it's a bit tricky to work with especially if you have a bend in the holster like a western style. a two piece holster sewn together is easier .