thatgriffguy

Feed dog making dimple marks on leather

Need a little assistance here. I am sewing leather wallets that have finished side out on front and back. When sewing the final pieces together I am getting dimples from the feed dog on the back side. Any ideas?

138 bonded nylon

135x17x22 sharp point needles

I am using a 206rb-5.

inhave backed the foot pressure adjustment out all the way until the last few threads. I have also lowered the feed dog a bit.

Grind or sand off the the tips of the teeth,they really aren't needed on a walking foot needle when sewing leather BUT it will create less drag if the feed dogs lift the leather off the needle plate so you might want to put the feed dogs to the original height.

I have ground the feed dogs down a bit and the track marks have all but disappeared. The problem I continue to have is the dimple around each place the needle exits through the bottom piece of leather. Being I am sewing a wallet with finished sides out this ruins the back surface. Can I choose another needle plate with a smaller hole in it with a different configuration feed dog or am I stuck with the stock feed dog?

Are most Medium/Heavy duty needle plates and feed dog bolt patterns the same? Can I simply change the plate and feed dog to a design that would work better for leather?

Use leather point needles 135x16.  They slice through instead of punching through like the textile conical point.  You could moisten the leather a little and try that.  Tap with a hammer or rub with a spoon or bone folder to help smooth out the blowout on the back side.

Tom

Does anyone have a solution for this on roller feed driven machine?? The roller isn’t exactly accessible on machines like this unlike flat beds... will parchment paper work without deflecting stitches?? Id rather not ruin shell Cordovan with these marks!! (And no I don’t want to hand stitch. Not my thing!) thx