Sign in to follow this  
Jbrandon

Suggestions please

So most of my knowledge/skills in leather work have come from trial and error as well as information found on this site and others. My artistic skills are limited but I can look up patterns and trace them to make fit my needs. I love to make my own patterns for things like wallets, sheaths, portfolios etc. My stitching skills are so so and finishing is too. 

My question is what book or books you suggest as absolute musts to have in my leather room? 

What topic are we discussing? Pattern making, sewing, toolings?

One general all around book is called Leather Secrets by F.O. Baird (I think). If I only had one book it would be this. It is an out of print large format book. It has everything from watchbands to tooled gun rigs and figure carving.

No specific topic just books that are useful in any and all aspects. I always need help with tooling patterns but I'm sure someone out there has come across one that they always refer back to for whatever reason. I'm just looking at buying a few for references. I recently redid my work space and with this new area everything is cleaner and more organized and I feel like it has already improved my work. Now I think it's time to have some books in there to maybe help with my quality of work as well.

The Al Stohlman leather tools guide. Good reference.

I would start with these two....

Leather Tools How to Sharpen How to Use

The Art of Sewing Leather

Both are by Al Stohlman and both are a wealth of information. He packs a lot of extras into his books that I wouldn't have even dreamed about. 

Then I would move on to his three books on leather cases. The cases are out dated but the the techniques are tried and true. And the the pattern building approach he teaches can apply to anything.

I have yet to find an all inclusive shoe building book. Some have lots of stuff, but none seem to cover proper last making.