blackmad

"vegan" leather suitable for straps?

2 hours ago, hwinbermuda said:

Vegetarians don't eat flesh, and that includes chicken and fish.

I have to disagree with this statement.  I worked in a company for the past 20 years that employed people from all over the world.  Often friends called it a little "United Nations" as many nations were represented.  A number of my co-workers were vegetarian and it really does come down to their culture and nationality as to what they define as allowable or not.  Chicken and fish were definitely allowable for some.

Tom

On 04/11/2018 at 10:08 PM, NVLeatherWorx said:

Then just go get some vinyl strapping somewhere and use that; there is no such thing as "vegan" leather and we all know that it is just artificial materials that are not within our materials matrix.  Being as you know that this is a leather forum and you work with the real thing you should know better than asking us about the garbage that we all work to replace.  Sorry, but such questions are not best suited for these forums.  Might I suggest that you go to your local Walmart and buy a couple of those fake belts they sell and use those.

This!

Honestly, this is a bit like going onto a forum that is dedicated to the art of diamond cutting, and asking the members if they know where you can source some cubic zirconia, or whether you should use moissanite instead....

Still valuable information... if you have gone a day without learning, you have wasted your day.

2 hours ago, VabaX said:

Honestly, this is a bit like going onto a forum that is dedicated to the art of diamond cutting, and asking the members if they know where you can source some cubic zirconia, or whether you should use moissanite instead....

1 hour ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Still valuable information... if you have gone a day without learning, you have wasted your day.

We need a "like" button.

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

We need a "like" button.

What he said.

On 11/4/2018 at 7:08 PM, NVLeatherWorx said:

Then just go get some vinyl strapping somewhere and use that; there is no such thing as "vegan" leather and we all know that it is just artificial materials that are not within our materials matrix.  Being as you know that this is a leather forum and you work with the real thing you should know better than asking us about the garbage that we all work to replace.  Sorry, but such questions are not best suited for these forums.  Might I suggest that you go to your local Walmart and buy a couple of those fake belts they sell and use those.

...My have times changed!  I have many younger clients now asking for hand bags, journals and other personnel items to be made using non animal materials.  I'm bringing in plastic leather like materials and canvas for testing to appease this growing population.  The design and use approach and process is much different than with animal leather.  Skiving my not be possible in some cases.  Edge burnishing is not possible that I know of so switching to edge paint is almost mandatory.  Joint gluing is done using an alternate adhesive and of course no dying or splitting.   All in all the process requires much less skill and equipment if you look at it one way.  I cant say I like the idea but if you take a look at some of the high end bag designer products you will find several models being offered along side full grain leather units.  the tactile differences between leather and pleather are rapidly narrowing and if you are on your way out of this industry then you can avoid transitioning to the new materials but if you are just starting out I'd say I would recommend getting your feet wet.  The times are a changing.

Silverd    

go buy some biothane strap. Strap works has it 
I've had requests like this. and I look at them and respond with. "What part of leather craft don't you understand?"

5 hours ago, Silverd said:

...My have times changed!  I have many younger clients now asking for hand bags, journals and other personnel items to be made using non animal materials.  I'm bringing in plastic leather like materials and canvas for testing to appease this growing population.  The design and use approach and process is much different than with animal leather.  Skiving my not be possible in some cases.  Edge burnishing is not possible that I know of so switching to edge paint is almost mandatory.  Joint gluing is done using an alternate adhesive and of course no dying or splitting.   All in all the process requires much less skill and equipment if you look at it one way.  I cant say I like the idea but if you take a look at some of the high end bag designer products you will find several models being offered along side full grain leather units.  the tactile differences between leather and pleather are rapidly narrowing and if you are on your way out of this industry then you can avoid transitioning to the new materials but if you are just starting out I'd say I would recommend getting your feet wet.  The times are a changing.

Silverd    

I didn't get into leather craft to learn to sew Vinyl. If my wallet and journal market dries up due to a bunch of fruit loops wanting the wrong material I'll focus else where. While some may disagree with leather and the commercial beef industry. You will not find a leather bag in a landfill. you won't find a whale, dolphin, or seal wrapped up in leather lace or straps. Leather is biodegradable. it is a natural product. That same cant be said for the different petroleum based materials being dumped and finding their way into the ocean. I can sleep well at night knowing i have the skins of dead animals all over my house. I do not feel good about the plastics we have in this world 

Whole lot of weird butthurt responses in this thread considering OP was just trying to meet the needs of a client with the skillset he had. If a fellow doesn’t want to use alternate materials for a client that’s fine, tell the client it’s not your gig and move along. If someone else wants to give it a shot and try for advice here along the way I don’t see why anyone should be offended.

We’re all here because we love leather, obviously - but I see nothing wrong with someone choosing to use their leather skillset on a different material to make a buck from a client who wants to pay for it.

Edited by Retswerb

sorry but this fashion of vegan warms my ears, the leather is leather it comes from animals, if it's not the case it's not leather it's cereal.

No doubt they said the same about Chrome leather. and from a few comments over time. on this and other forums it would appear that some only consider veg tan as real leather working

On 12/10/2020 at 5:00 PM, Silverd said:

Silverd    

send em to walmart! the dumps are full of "VEGAN" leather. Its friggin plastic 

7 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

send em to walmart! the dumps are full of "VEGAN" leather. Its friggin plastic 

Hahaha.  Okay... since I wrote that I've made some progress on this very sensitive topic 

Cactus Leather.  it's a game changer in that although everything regarding proess changes assoiated typical vegan leather, it is a natural substance and is biodegradable unlike plastic.  The company making this relatively new material is Desserto.  They are located in Mexico.  Desserto has a swatch packet that I purchased which contains an impressive assortment of sample materials in various color, textures and thicknesses.  

I consider this product a much better alternative to the popular PVC or PU Vegan leather offered by mainstream companies since it is not petroleum based.  That said I'm not familiar with how it is made or if the process is eco friendly so more info needed.  In the meantime I've placed an order for a few yards and plan to develop a secondary product line around the material.  I'll always prefer natural leather over vegan material but not all customers share my mind set.

Silverd

On 12/10/2020 at 7:00 PM, Silverd said:

Silverd    

On 12/24/2021 at 3:43 PM, Silverd said:

Hahaha.  Okay... since I wrote that I've made some progress on this very sensitive topic 

Cactus Leather.  it's a game changer in that although everything regarding proess changes assoiated typical vegan leather, it is a natural substance and is biodegradable unlike plastic.  The company making this relatively new material is Desserto.  They are located in Mexico.  Desserto has a swatch packet that I purchased which contains an impressive assortment of sample materials in various color, textures and thicknesses.  

I consider this product a much better alternative to the popular PVC or PU Vegan leather offered by mainstream companies since it is not petroleum based.  That said I'm not familiar with how it is made or if the process is eco friendly so more info needed.  In the meantime I've placed an order for a few yards and plan to develop a secondary product line around the material.  I'll always prefer natural leather over vegan material but not all customers share my mind set.

Silverd

Another story to support. I made and gave a nice Pueblo leather passport cover to an Indian friend. While savouring her goat curry, I almost fell off my chair profusely apologizing for my insensitivity and my stupidity. I forgot that cow are sacred for many Hindus, so I need to take it back and make a better one. I was thinking of a shell cordovan outer shell and a French goat inners pocket. However, my thoughts went beyond and I was looking for an alternative to satisfy the growing and evolving demand. Nothing wrong with respecting client's wishes. I love Bacon and Ham but I would not serve them to my Jewish and Muslim friend. 

The only time I take offense is when people make souvlaki with lamb, which is clearly a crime against humanity.

@Spyros What is souvlaki supposed to be made of?

I don't object to biothane and its competitors, or to nylon straps and rope (used it for my horses everyday bridle and reins 25 years ago when vegans were practically unheard of), but I do object to the term "vegan leather". If it's some sort of man-made, petroleum or plant-based material, then I want to know exactly what it is.

(On the same lines, I have nothing against veggies. I have everything against vegan burgers, vegan sausages, vegan steaks or whatever else there may be.)

1 hour ago, Klara said:

@Spyros What is souvlaki supposed to be made of?

Pork.  About 60% pork belly and 40% shoulder. 

3 hours ago, Spyros said:

Pork.  About 60% pork belly and 40% shoulder. 

Is it like leather, 60% belly (cheap). Do restaurant advertise 100% shoulder. Kind of dry.:)

My first vegan material product...

Cactus "leather" material came in and here's the scoop after completing a single project.

Nice hand feel. A bit stretchy like Lamb.  Leaves no Presser foot marks and stitches need to be spaced out a bit more than with leather.  

It skives well and glues well.  Rolled edges are easy but good luck making binding out of it.

Edges will not burnish so edge painting is a must and is a laborious process.  Cleans up well with acetone.  

Can be laminated but samples have a fabric backing already.  They have a whole lot of various thicknesses textures and colors.

Hope this help!

Silverd

Screenshot_20220417-210307_Gallery.jpg

I'm thinking I'll stay with the real thing. I feel no need to "appease this growing population". Here in cattle country, they mostly stay up on campus. In a county that has more cattle than humans, their voices just don't get listened to.

Biothane is a great product and used for quality tack.  Although I make leather tack in my spare time we use a lot of biothane halters in the barns.  If a bird craps on them I just toss them in a bucket and hang to dry.  They are very durable and practical for daily use.  Nonetheless, my time is better spent making and repairing leather tack.

On 11/4/2018 at 6:46 PM, blackmad said:

Hey all,

A friend asked for a few piece made out of vegan leather. I'm looking for something that's thick/stiff enough to work for straps (bracelets, collars, harnesses) without sewing/gluing. Anyone have a suggestion of where to look / what to look for?

Thanks,

David

I have not done much in this myself yet, but cork fabric as an alternative i found was very nice.

There are several versions you can get with beautiful patterns, and even colours and foil specs.

Adding a link to Etsy where there are so much to choose from.

Portuguese Cork Fabric Printed Pattern 68x50cm / | Etsy UK

Tip: If you buy it, make sure it´s from an Eco friendly source that has a good system in harvesting and replanting etc. Also look if the seller already have strips made so you don´t have to cut it yourself, and if you are to cut it at home, ask what sort of knife or roller cutter you need that will make the best cuts. Cork is a bit odd to both cut and make holes in for stitching, so it´s a small learning curve to it i felt.