Sign in to follow this  
Johanna

Strap for my laptop case

I can probably live with this clever nylon case of many pockets for my laptop, but the cheap nylon shoulder strap has got to go. One of the plastic clips that attaches it is already broken, and the strap is too wide, with no shoulder pad. My laptop isn't that heavy, but my ribs are sore enough from the multiple fractures this summer- I don't need a strap digging ito my shoulder. What I need is a fixed position shoulder pad, because otherwise it will catch in my hair when it slides, if my hair is down. I was thinking about sewing two pieces of cabretta together with foam inside, what do you think? I think the sheepskin will stay in place better than a leather with a slippery or glossy hand, but maybe suede would be better on the inside? I have my choice in the shop with fifteen years worth of scraps. I don't need to make the strap adjustable, because no one else should be carrying my laptop. LOL It would be nice to balance it just right, because of the sore ribs, and because I am so short. (Standard size shoulder straps usually have the bag below my hips, and I'd rather a purse or case like this be under my elbow.) I do have some quality swivel snaps I used to use for dog leashes, and some strips of latigo and 8/9 oz veggie tanned available for the strap.

Then my husband said "You really like that braid on your purse- can't you do that with the latigo? And maybe you could carve something onto the pad?" Hmmm...now things are getting complicated- endless possibilities just to solve a simple problem. Well, I don't carve very well- I've seen Boy Scouts do a better job than me. I can stamp, but lack the creativity to make it interesting. Plus, the case is black, so I would imagine I want the strap and shoulder pad to be black, too. Cabretta? Or should I go ahead and hack a hide to make a one piece strap, and just pad and line the wide part? Decisions, decisions...

I haven't done much in the shop in a long time. :whatdoyouthink: Ten years ago this would have been a half hour project. Now, I can't even decide what would work the best, or look okay with (gasp!) Nylon.

Johanna

Clay offered to carve me a shoulder pad :thumbsup::thumbsup:

and I'll make a functional strap with stainless steel clips and toss this nylon one-with its broken plastic clips in the trash. Oooo-wheeeee- have you all seen Clay's work? I feel honored to have something he made! :hug: He made me laugh because he said he'd rather do the carving than the construction on a project, and I am the exact opposite. I could ruin perfectly good leather attempting to carve it!

I bought a new truck a few weeks ago and went to the auto parts store for a leather steering wheel cover. No such luck. Everything they had was either rubber or "leather-look". All the steering wheel covers they had were made outside the US, too, btw. I bought an inexpensive one I thought I could live with, or at least make a template from, and when I took it out of the package and saw the lanyard style round plastic lace to wrap it, I nearly cried. YUCK! So I went into the shop, found a roll of black kanga lace and wrapped that baby right. I'll bet no one in my county has a wheel with a couple of yards of Kanga lace on it, and I'll bet my steering wheel cover won't come off unless I take it off. And I just hijacked my own thread, bemoaning the lack of real leather goods available to the average consumer, who doesn't know enough to insist on better, which is leather. Real leather. Tanned animal skins. Possibly not as cheap as the bolts of leather-like stuff they make, but no substitutions can match the feel of real leather.

Getting down now. :soapbox:

Johanna