Willb2862

Adjustments for smaller (kids) belt?

I have made an 1 3/4 and an 1 1/2 belt so far. I have used the same spacing for the holes, buckle slot and snap placement on both. My daughter, who is 6, has asked for a belt for xmas. I  am using lighter leather (4/5oz) and it will be 1" wide to fit in kid size pants. Im wondering how you guys would adjust size/spacing/placement of the holes. The two aforementioned belts are the extent of my leather crafting thus far, so any help is appreciated! Also, what size snaps would you recomend for a belt this size?

I think I would reduce the hole spacing to 3/4 of the adult spacing, and make the holes the correct size for the buckle tongue (probably smaller on the child's belt).

As for snaps, I would use line 20 snaps, rather than the bigger line 24. I would not use glove snaps at all on a belt.

Please post pics of your work. I would like to know if my suggestions make sense in the real world! :yeah:

My adult belts have holes spaced at 1 inch apart.

Kid's belts that age would get 3/4 inch spacing.

I also punch 7 holes instead of being cheap like most are and only punching 5 (in the hope the belt no long fits sooner, . . . they get to do another belt).

I don't use snaps on my belts, . . . I use chicago screws, . . . and would do the same for the kid's belt.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks guys.  I went with 1/2" spacing on both belts (i was informed by my 4yo that he WILL be getting a belt for xmas too) and 7 holes. They are coming along nicely. I can say that 3/4" spacing would have been better, but i started on them before i saw your replies. I'll post pics when they are done.