myjtp

What type of leather to put as a backer for a 8oz veg tan belt?

I am going to be making a few belts soon and am looking at some different options for backers to sew to the back to hide the flesh side of some belts. Anything that's more waterproof than not? What thickness should I look for? 

thanks!

I very seldom (can't recall the last one) make a single layer belt.  They are all double layer, . . . and most of em are destined for CCW.

All my belts are veggie and veggie, . . . contact cemented flesh to flesh, . . . makes an almost indestructable tool for carrying things on your waist.  

My thinnest belts I make measure out (when put together) at something around .160 or roughly 10/11 oz.  My thicker ones (I'm wearing one right now, and it is my "go-to" belt 6 3/4 days out of 7 ) actually run a full .250 which is 16 oz.

With that in mind, . . . try a 3/4 oz backer and see how you like it.

Take a look on here, 

I replied a couple times in this, . . . one place I did a little video, . . . take a look at it, . . . belts like this are easy.

May God bless,

Dwight

24 minutes ago, Squilchuck said:

I've used thin veg tan and pigskin for backs. Both are 2/3 oz.  Could use thicker veg tan, depending on how thick a belt you want. --John

ahh nice! ill check out some 2/3 oz pig skin! Whats good about pig skin?

6 minutes ago, myjtp said:

ahh nice! ill check out some 2/3 oz pig skin! Whats good about pig skin?

Can be thin, but not as thin as kangaroo.

Flexible, easy to work, and great pore pattern.

H

Edited by hwinbermuda

1 minute ago, hwinbermuda said:

Can be thin, but not as thin as kangaroo.

Flexible, easy to work, and great pore pattern.

H

excellent!! sounds like a winner to me!  what about water proofing?  Resolene? or something better?

Pigskin is thin, tough, and flexible. Nice pattern look. Tandy often has it on sale. I think their "glazed" lining is not the best - they seem to have changed products since I last bought. Not sure if it is cheaper. I also use it to line phone cases.  I have not dyed it, but it takes neatsfoot oil and Resolene. --John

2 minutes ago, Squilchuck said:

Pigskin is thin, tough, and flexible. Nice pattern look. Tandy often has it on sale. I think their "glazed" lining is not the best - they seem to have changed products since I last bought. Not sure if it is cheaper. I also use it to line phone cases.  I have not dyed it, but it takes neatsfoot oil and Resolene. --John

Where would you recommend getting the pig skin from if not Tandy? and what should I look for in pig skin for good quality?

16 minutes ago, myjtp said:

Where would you recommend getting the pig skin from if not Tandy? and what should I look for in pig skin for good quality?

Sorry, myjtp, I am in the UK and use a leather factor for my skins.

Best

Harry

You can use pig (I personally do not), cow, goat (tough, and nice - I like goat), or a number of other options.  Whatever you choose, get the VEGETABLE TANNED version if you intend to hope it will BURNISH :o