myjtp

Just bought a snake skin for belts, whats the best way to prep/protect it?

I just got this snake skin off ebay $60.00 was that a good deal? Im going to make a few belts from it and was wondering what the best way to prep before gluing? what glue to use? and best oil or solution to use to seal the snake skin for water/sweat proof ( I am thinking Resolene? ) or make it softer so it bends and isn't too brittle?   Also if anyone has a good source for snake skins or ostrich or gator I'd love to know :) 

kX3RVKb.jpg

ZeQgVb3.jpg

eOvvfTp.jpg

gj5LMpl.jpg

spjUGHv.jpg

buxhbuY.jpg

What kind of snake is that?

9 minutes ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

What kind of snake is that?

Seller said it was "Genuine Python Snake Skin"

Well, . . . I'd say shoot it and bury it, . . . but I'd only be joking, . . . one of those personal things, . . . I don't do snakes, . . . including snakeskin.

It is, though, . . . a good looking piece of raw material, . . . best wishes on how you use it and what you do with it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Yeah, prolly IS python.. but it's cut down teh back. I always thought it was much nicer looking cut down the belly... preserves the natural python "pattern". 

But, I don't like snake for belts.  Durn things got scales that are made to only go ONE direction .... and pulling it the wrong way through belt loops can really booger the snake (flake the scales).  You can minimize this by either LACING THE EDGES (gives a bit of a buffer) or by making the snake an INLAY so the scales are set in and not (almost not) subjected to the scraping / raking action.

50 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Yeah, prolly IS python.. but it's cut down teh back. I always thought it was much nicer looking cut down the belly... preserves the natural python "pattern". 

But, I don't like snake for belts.  Durn things got scales that are made to only go ONE direction .... and pulling it the wrong way through belt loops can really booger the snake (flake the scales).  You can minimize this by either LACING THE EDGES (gives a bit of a buffer) or by making the snake an INLAY so the scales are set in and not (almost not) subjected to the scraping / raking action.

Agreed on the cut down the belly part but if i make a few belts out of it I might be ok. Plus this is my first attempt so I will see how it goes.

Scoobie Newbie, its a dead one.

17 hours ago, Dwight said:

Well, . . . I'd say shoot it and bury it, . . . but I'd only be joking, . . . one of those personal things, . . . I don't do snakes, . . . including snakeskin.

It is, though, . . . a good looking piece of raw material, . . . best wishes on how you use it and what you do with it.

May God bless,

Dwight

it doesn't look like a raw in the meaning - it's dyed and finished as to the pic

18 hours ago, myjtp said:

I just got this snake skin off ebay $60.00 was that a good deal? Im going to make a few belts from it and was wondering what the best way to prep before gluing? what glue to use? and best oil or solution to use to seal the snake skin for water/sweat proof ( I am thinking Resolene? ) or make it softer so it bends and isn't too brittle?   Also if anyone has a good source for snake skins or ostrich or gator I'd love to know :) 

kX3RVKb.jpg

ZeQgVb3.jpg

eOvvfTp.jpg

gj5LMpl.jpg

spjUGHv.jpg

buxhbuY.jpg

not sure you can make a few belts (unless it's long enough) - the goal here is to keep center cell pattern

I guess that have seen some where on the forum how-to finishing exotic leather, try to use search

I think he meant raw as in new and fresh to use, not untanned and just bleeding. It is a beautiful color. 

Would it still knock the scales off if you made sure they were pointed away from the buckle... oh, but then they would rub poorly on the pant loops. I see. Bother.