noobleather

Spacing for slots in a .45LC loading strip

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has a spacing distance for marking the slot holes for the leather loops in a leather loading strip for 45LC. I have made 2 for .357 magnum but the diameter of the .45LC is much larger so the spacing will be bigger.i will loop leather through the individual sides then stitch between the loops,then glue a welt between the two side and stitch the whole thing together.

Any help would be great.

Regards

Just take the leather you are using for the strip, wrap it around the dummy 45 LC round and use a pair of dividers tight against the sides of dummy round and the points will give you the specific dimension.  I'll try to take a picture later to help visualize.

This was how I learned to set up the spacing for bullet loops and it requires no math.

8 hours ago, noobleather said:

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has a spacing distance for marking the slot holes for the leather loops in a leather loading strip for 45LC. I have made 2 for .357 magnum but the diameter of the .45LC is much larger so the spacing will be bigger.i will loop leather through the individual sides then stitch between the loops,then glue a welt between the two side and stitch the whole thing together.

Any help would be great.

Regards

Thank you very much for your help.

One of the biggest things I find difficult is the setting up of my leather projects and the spacing for the slots had me thinking a fair bit.

I bit the bullet and just went a little bit more on the spacing than the .357 loop slots. Anyway pics attached.

IMG_20181106_212836.jpg

IMG_20181106_220706.jpg

Dyed them today with a vinagroon.

Really like the blue,black colour

IMG_20181107_152840.jpg

8 hours ago, noobleather said:

Really like the blue,black colour

Looks like brown brown to me, but I guess that's my screen :lol: Really nice job whatever you call the colour.

I have a strip that is the same as what I make loops with and use the caliper method mentioned above.  I go one more step, I keep scraps around and I will cut 2-4 slots after I figure out what I think the spacing is and try it.  This lets me make the errors on scrap and not mess up good leather.

4 hours ago, Hildebrand said:

I have a strip that is the same as what I make loops with and use the caliper method mentioned above.  I go one more step, I keep scraps around and I will cut 2-4 slots after I figure out what I think the spacing is and try it.  This lets me make the errors on scrap and not mess up good leather.

Thanks, good idea.

6 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Looks like brown brown to me, but I guess that's my screen :lol: Really nice job whatever you call the colour.

Ooops sorry afternoon light added the brown tint lol.

Another pic

IMG_20181108_063441.jpg

Nope. Sorry Kel, still looks like 2 different shades of brown to me, probably my screen still.

Are you gonna be at Howard's on Sunday next week, or Freo Beer Festival on Saturday ... or both?

Yeah Howard's next week. Maybe pop into Freo on Sunday

2 minutes ago, noobleather said:

Yeah Howard's next week.

No problem. See you there.