Sheilajeanne

Cool way to sharpen bevelers!

Thats a great tip! And I just so happen to have a beveler that needs sharpening! Thanks 

I was video view 666... Wonder if I should worry.

29 minutes ago, DV8DUG said:

I was video view 666... Wonder if I should worry.

LOL!! 

Fantastic! I had wondered how to sharpen my Beveler's so I'll give this a try!

Sam:)

I just bevel a piece of scrap. Rub rouge into the edge and bevel backwards. It's the perfect size.

Not unless you fiddle, eat mushrooms or figs.

I have a few different size threads just for this. I braided some for the #5 since its so huge.

20 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I just bevel a piece of scrap. Rub rouge into the edge and bevel backwards. It's the perfect size.

There is always someone who has to take a great tip and point out that the obvious solution was right in front of us the whole time! Lol. Seriously,  cant believe I never thought of that!

2 hours ago, Willb2862 said:

There is always someone who has to take a great tip and point out that the obvious solution was right in front of us the whole time! Lol. Seriously,  cant believe I never thought of that!

Ha, i didnt think of it either. Tandy had a master craftsman in town for thanksgiving that wanted to teach a tooling class for fun. He pointed it out to us.

Thanks for the video. I have been shown how to sharpen a beveler on the edge of piece of leather with jewellers rouge. But I have a smaller beveler where it doesn't seem to work so I will try this when I get home

Jewellers rouge on the edge of leather; I can see how this works and wish I'd thought of it years ago, thanks for the tip bikermutt.

Jewellers rouge on threads of varying thicknesses; over time this may mishapen the cutting edge into a curve. And restoring a flat edge to a curved blade area is a nightmare.

H

If you want a really sharp beveller?  I use a piece of wire the right thickness for my beveller, and overlay it with a piece of Micro mesh abrasive cloth, then press down on the mesh over the wire, and stroke backwards, believe me, you will have a razor sharp beveller!

If your beveller is very blunt, you can start with a course piece of micro mesh cloth, and then work through the different grades, even down to 12000 grade micro mesh.

I bought a pack of these, and 2 years later they are still going strong.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Micro-Mesh-Regular-Sheets-Abrasive-Polishing-x/dp/B003RTABUK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1544617687&sr=8-2&keywords=micro-mesh

On 11/6/2018 at 7:58 PM, bikermutt07 said:

This is what we do here as well. We take and lock the strips in a board so they stand on their edge and don't move. Plus easy storage.

On 11/7/2018 at 1:58 AM, bikermutt07 said:

32 minutes ago, TonySFLDLTHR said:

This is what we do here as well. We take and lock the strips in a board so they stand on their edge and don't move. Plus easy storage.

Ok, sounds great as I said earlier, but "bevel backwards" does this just polish and sharpen the flat side? does it creat any burr on the inside?

In the picture I have always stropped the blue arow side, but have never tried to strop/sharpen the red side.

Some of the recent replies have left me wondering if there is a better way, that I have been missing.

Cheers

H

arrows on beveller.png

I do the same as hwinbermuda, but I also use the string with rouge to remove the burr from the inside.  Just pull through the top after finishing stropping the bottom.

Edited by clc

5 minutes ago, clc said:

I do the same as hwinbermuda, but I also use the string with rouge to remove the burr from the inside.  Just pull through the top after finishing stropping the bottom.

This was what I was just about to post. Either a piece of string or lace with jewelers rouge on it. Pull it back through the red side.