chiefjason

Shoulder holster questions

So I finally got talked into making a shoulder holster a while back.  What can I say, I usually quoted high and got turned down but money talks.  Made a couple of them since, including one for myself that I'm very happy with.  

I had a customer come to me with an odd request and I took it on.  The closest thing to the holster I made is one Mattel made for a cap gun back in the 60's.  The off side strap wraps around the shoulder and back to the the holster across the back.  There were a couple other requests including wider shoulder straps.

Short answer, he's not real thrilled with it.  But since it was a special order he's not upset about it and just wants to buy a different strap set.  Not a big deal.  His main complaints were that it rode too high on his neck and the yoke was a bit too stiff.  

To my questions.  

I used 5-6 oz leather for the straps.  Maybe slightly heavier on the yoke.  I'm considering cutting the weight for the straps and yoke down more to make them more flexible.  Good idea or not?  Or what are you using?  And I really don't want to go to fabric or nylon.  

Any secrets to how to get the yoke to ride lower towards the shoulders?  Honestly, all of the ones I have made seem to ride high.  But I've not worn anyone elses shoulder holsters so not much to compare.  And he sent me pics and it rides considerably higher on him than it did on me.    Because I wore it around the house one afternoon to be sure it was worth sending out.  It also looks to fit tighter around his neck than mine, but I'm pretty sure my neck is wider than his.  FWIW, he says he tried several adjustments and could not get happy with it.  Which is odd becasue I liked it.  Go figure.  But comfort is subjective.  

So what say you?  And I have a few pics if it helps that I can post.  

Can you post some picks from the customer.  Yes, 3-4oz for the  shoulder straps for concealment so they don't show through a suit coat.  Is the drop (vertical distance) on the suspension harness adjustable from the top of the shoulder to the holster?

Is this a field rig for a hunting handgun or a concealment rig?  Weapon?  

Edited by The Ogre
Clarify

I'd like to see the pics!  Got a fella, I'm makin' him a belt holster.  Messaged yesterday, says he wants shoulder rig for teh same gun as well.  Didn't want to hear I don't do those :o

SO, who does these? I told him I'd put some 'feelers' out, maybe I make the holster somebody else make the harness?  He wants SOFT leather (whatever that means) and I dont have the equipment to sew that stuff (or the space to put any).

Says he's 6', 190 lbs, wears a 42 jacket -- in case that means anything to sewing people ;)

On 11/6/2018 at 9:07 PM, chiefjason said:

So I finally got talked into making a shoulder holster a while back.  What can I say, I usually quoted high and got turned down but money talks.  Made a couple of them since, including one for myself that I'm very happy with.  

I had a customer come to me with an odd request and I took it on.  The closest thing to the holster I made is one Mattel made for a cap gun back in the 60's.  The off side strap wraps around the shoulder and back to the the holster across the back.  There were a couple other requests including wider shoulder straps.

Short answer, he's not real thrilled with it.  But since it was a special order he's not upset about it and just wants to buy a different strap set.  Not a big deal.  His main complaints were that it rode too high on his neck and the yoke was a bit too stiff.  

To my questions.  

I used 5-6 oz leather for the straps.  Maybe slightly heavier on the yoke.  I'm considering cutting the weight for the straps and yoke down more to make them more flexible.  Good idea or not?  Or what are you using?  And I really don't want to go to fabric or nylon.  

Any secrets to how to get the yoke to ride lower towards the shoulders?  Honestly, all of the ones I have made seem to ride high.  But I've not worn anyone elses shoulder holsters so not much to compare.  And he sent me pics and it rides considerably higher on him than it did on me.    Because I wore it around the house one afternoon to be sure it was worth sending out.  It also looks to fit tighter around his neck than mine, but I'm pretty sure my neck is wider than his.  FWIW, he says he tried several adjustments and could not get happy with it.  Which is odd becasue I liked it.  Go figure.  But comfort is subjective.  

So what say you?  And I have a few pics if it helps that I can post.  

i have a nice gov issued rig for a 1911, it rides mid back and has quite a bit of room for adjustment...i'll try to get a pic to illustrate asap.     Pics added below of rig, and a comparison of a leather i think would be good for making the shoulder straps, it's a horween side i got from @nstarleather I've  used it for a couple messenger bags and straps and it is very soft/supple, but also quite tough and has the same feel as the straps for the holster (feel as in temper etc)  the center piece doesn't have to be the plastic type here, a good piece of 8-10oz would work as well i think...lots of options out there tho.

UEAy6Mb.jpg

r0G266a.jpg

QeuzYWy.jpg

I3iT6X0.jpg

Edited by koreric75
added pic