Its contagious.

I have just phoned a photography shop 25 minutes away, and asked if they still had a used camera body that was online.  Yes, they did, I asked that they hold it for me to look at, I'd be ther in 30 minutes.

Full Name, Full Address, Telephone number...

I have just cut off my nose to spite my face, as after pointing out that their main competitor in town held a similar body for 2 days, on just my first name, explained that without the detail they could not hold it.

Why?   They would set up an account, and hold it against the account.

No, they will not, I wished them luck selling it, and told them not to bother.  Shame because it had the two attributes that the one across town did not have and was only a few buck more expensive.

Back to looking, or going in with cash and getting it to the stage they have to refuse the sale as I wont give my address.  Its crazy, as my name is near unique in the UK, since my Dad, Senior passed in 1993, I am one of two with the same name, and the other lives 220 miles away (yup, we are related).

I never give out unnecessary detail, I know how it is used. When I said about the database it would be going on, the shop guy said it was not going on any database... and got baffled when I explained that in-store data, was covered by our great GDPR rules too.

18 hours ago, YinTx said:

Personally, pay me check, cash or paypal.

I don't do checks.  When I changed banks recently, they asked what kind of checks I want.  Uh.. none. Would't know what to do with 'em - haven't WRITTEN a check in a long time. Nor do I wish to pay for the "service" of processing OTHER people's checks... If they can carry a check, they can carry money.  If you have money to cover the check, then get your money and then show up.  If you don't have the money to cover the check, then I don't know why I should pay to verify that.

Since moving here, I have found TWO places where they don't take cards of any kind, which I think is more than I found in the last decade.  One gal said they don't want the fees involved.  Personally, I'd gladly pay the 3% to not have to have cash! 

Other hand, I remember that day a couple of years ago, my buddy was stompin' mad.  Energy company told him they wouldn't REFUSE cash, but they add a service charge if you pay cash since they have to pay someone to make change!

2 hours ago, hwinbermuda said:

Its contagious.

Agreed.  annoyed.  But as Roland says... "the world has moved on.  We have forgotten the face of our fathers."

YinTx