Barnettworks

Singer 96-10 timing help

Hello,

I have been reading and trying everything. I can't seem to get my 96-10 to pickup the bobbin thread. I am very hands on technical. I have the old Singer manuals. I set the needle bar timing, the shuttle timing, purchased new needles, different thread. any thoughts that can help me get this fun machine going? I will take some pics and maybe a video of it attempting to grab it.

thanks everyone!

First check the needle is in the right way

Does the hook pass close enough to the needle?

Silly question: have you tried with or without fabric/leather in the machine? There are differences in loop formation when there is or isn't material under the foot.

Pictures and video would be great. Have you tried turning the machine over without the needle plate in place? Can you see what's going on?

Try with some fabric or leather. The friction of the fabric against the thread and needle makes the loop in the thread that the hook catches.

34 minutes ago, Barnettworks said:

I haven't tried with any fabric or leather. I figured it would need to grab the bobbin thread before it would do anything...

3 minutes ago, JJN said:

Try with some fabric or leather. The friction of the fabric against the thread and needle makes the loop in the thread that the hook catches.

Yep, this. I have a harness stitcher that's 50-50 about picking up a loop without material but 100% with leather under the foot. It's probably the stiff black poly thread I use.