terryHHI

What to use for stiffener - bonded leather or splits?

My daughter-in-law is a cardiology nurse and wears a lead apron and lead jacket for procedures due to the use of X-ray machines to place the leads into the heart.  She travels between several hospitals and needs a bag to carry her “leads”.  The leads are rolled instead of folded to reduce the chance of cracking.  I’ve designed a bag that’s a cross between a duffle bag and a yoga mat bag. 

I’m using Italian Saffiano leather for the outside and goat for lining. Both leathers are 2/3 oz (about 1 mm each) and fairly soft temper.  I’d like to add something between them to make the bag a little more firm.  I have bag stiffener from Springfield Leather but I think that will make it too stiff.  I’ve read about people using bonded leather or splits but don’t have experience with either?  

Any ideas?  Thank you.

Couldn’t you just jump the oz up to 5/6 oz for a stiffener?

i don’t know, just asking. I’ve been doing brims for hats and use rawhide cut to shape. That might be too stiff for your purpose.

Check out a fabric store and see if the sew in interfacing would work for you.  You could use multiple layers to get the stiffness what you need.  If you want to attach it you could use a spray adhesive.   Prices are quite reasonable.

I have had success using a heavy mesh style interfacing along with "HeatnBond UltraHold Iron-On Adhesive." For me it has worked better than spray on adhesive, which tends to be both messy and uneven.

612qpEEFyOL._SL1500_ (1).jpg

5 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I have had success using a heavy mesh style interfacing along with "HeatnBond UltraHold Iron-On Adhesive." For me it has worked better than spray on adhesive, which tends to be both messy and uneven.

612qpEEFyOL._SL1500_ (1).jpg

I have used this type successfully too.

Would the weight of the apron warrant a narrow board in the base, for lateral strength?

H

Scooby - a layer of veg tan might be the simplest and effective solution. I may have been overthinking what I need.

baroness and LatigoAmigo - thanks for fabric interfacing ideas. The heat bonded sounds interesting 

hwinbernuda - the lead is heavy,, I like the board idea. The lead is typically wrapped around a pool noodle ( foam tube) or PVC or cardboard tube to keep it from flattening out and potentially cracking.  I’ll try a small piece of plywood in the bottom of the prototype I’ve made to see how it works.

Thank you for the ideas. A fresh set of eyes makes it easier to see some creative solutions.