DanishMan

Skiving machine tool

Dear Friends

I am very new into leather machinery, and I have just bought an old skiving machine.

I want to take the machine apart, but I am not familar with a certain nut.  What kind of tool is needed for this?

Best regards 

Danish Man

Skiving machine nut.jpg

I guess some kind of slotted nut tool, but what about the middle of the nut with a hole in???

You need a spanner wrench. The shaft has a centering hole in the end. Is that what you are referring to?

Ferg

I also have an old skiving machine and it came with this tool for removing that nut:

hackspanner.thumb.jpg.9f01a1fff688899be6785b960df3d914.jpg

I'm not sure if it's the "correct" tool (I imagine a fully enclosed ring spanner with 4x teeth to be about perfect) but it fits perfectly. There are no markings on my one and the opening is around 18mm across though TBH I'm not sure how they're supposed to be measured. I've always known this as a "hack spanner" but apparently Google doesn't know that phrase so apparently it's a localism or I'm just plain wrong. The accepted word for this sort of tool appears to be a "hook spanner", quite widely available from the usual gettin spots.

The photo above is the correct tool. It's called a hook spanner. 

You might be able to remove the fastener by lightly tapping a large standard screwdriver or a drift against the inside face of one of the slots. Too much force will damage the bearings and potentially the shaft.

Make sure to inspect the end of the shaft to determine which direction tightens the fastener. It's not entirely uncommon for drive components to be reverse threaded.

In the UK it is known as a C spanner

Thank you for your help. I actually ordered a hook spanner wrench 2 weeks ago, but I just wanted to make sure.

Very good point also about the reverse threading. How can that be determined by a skiving machine newbie?

Brgds

Danish Man

I am just wondering if a hook wrench can be used for the second nut (the one with the red arrow)

Skiving machine nut.jpg