I haven't been on in a while. YinTx contacted me by mail to check in with me.  All I can say about the leather is Holy C**p! 

I really hope I don't screw this up....

17 hours ago, rodneywt1180b said:

I haven't been on in a while. YinTx contacted me by mail to check in with me.  All I can say about the leather is Holy C**p! 

I can feel the pain from here ......and I live a half a world away.:rip_1: No just kiddin :P THINK POSITIVE MAN.

On 6/16/2020 at 12:49 PM, rodneywt1180b said:

Glad you got the letter, and look forward to seeing the final product!  Your canes look awesome, so I think it'll come out just fine!

On 6/17/2020 at 6:43 AM, RockyAussie said:

I can feel the pain from here ......and I live a half a world away.:rip_1: No just kiddin :P THINK POSITIVE MAN.

Hehehehe.. no wait... thats not helping...

YinTx

Ireceived the leather pieces from YinTx a few days ago.  They're even nicer in person.  

Working up the courage to get started...

On 6/24/2020 at 10:56 PM, rodneywt1180b said:

Ireceived the leather pieces from YinTx a few days ago.  They're even nicer in person.  

Working up the courage to get started...

Thanks for the compliment.  Also, just wanted to see how things are cooking for you so far...

YinTx

The cane is finally done and on it's way to YinTx's dad.  My stitching isn't perfect, not even close,and I really struggled with getting the areas where the seams meet to look ok.  They're not perfect either but they'll work I think.  

The toughest part was forming the leather on the handle.  The compound curves were tricky to mold and I didn't want to deform YinTx's work.  I settled on painting water on the back side of the leather with a small paint brush just in the areas that needed a little help to form and slowly worked the leather down by hand.  When I got the leather where I wanted it I clamped it in position to dry.

Anyway, pictures.

DSCN4725.JPG.6c5566a57a5e32d08f4bfdd3f16203b3.JPG

DSCN4726.JPG.be5581869a4e09842a8b8df4de703846.JPG

DSCN4727.JPG.fe2c178249bf65f0c96e3a7c90cc8cb0.JPG

DSCN4728.JPG.9574db64b4b3ced4be7b93c8f84d2d89.JPG

DSCN4729.JPG.9f628bd61bfad1c21ecac1390ff566bf.JPG

DSCN4730.JPG.f75790adcd6bafb036e2ae2454bd2397.JPG

DSCN4731.JPG.b19306ffd40f7bb6c82f9ddcc0ddd45b.JPG

YESSSS! I’d love to see this in person, looks like it came out great. It’s been fun to follow this project, thanks for the pics.

Agreed, this one has been fun watching develop. My mom wants me to wrap her cane but I have no idea where to begin...

Oh.my.

thats amazing!

2 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Agreed, this one has been fun watching develop. My mom wants me to wrap her cane but I have no idea where to begin...

I say go for it.  It's not that difficult, it just takes some time.  Post some pictures here when you're done.

Cechaflo's (sp?) videos on youtube are a great help for wrapping things.  

Good to know @rodneywt1180b, thanks for the reference sir!

Outstanding!

OK, LW.net did not notify me of the update on this post!  So my apologies for the delayed response.  I must say this exceeded my expectations by a long ways.  My dad was thrilled with the cane, fully complimentary of the woodwork, and has tossed his other cane to the side.  

The curves on the handle really make everything stand out in a phenomenal way.  The craftsmanship is outstanding.

I could not be any happier with this work.  Thank you again so much @rodneywt1180b for the patience waiting for my leather work to show up, and the expediency in completing your end of the work.  He received it before his birthday, which was perfect timing!  I haven't seen it in person myself, but eventually after all this Covid nonsense, I expect I'll get to see it!

YinTx

i thought I was slow.  I delayed a long time getting the nerve up to cut into your work.  My stuff I can tear off and start over if I need to.  I only had one shot with that. I'm very happy your dad likes it.

Rodney

I haven't been to this part of the site in a few months, so my 0.02c is really now "mustard arriving after the meal" but I still want to say "wowowowow!" @YinTx and @rodneywt1180b -  This is really inspirational work, guys! And if imitation is a form of compliment - I'm going to try something like this sometime, when my skill picks up (a lot, I'm afraid)...