YOU KNOW better 'n' that... SOMETHING in the pic for SCALE :nono:

Carving looks good... kaint tell how far it raised though -- did I already mention some SCALE? :blush: 

Be nice to see how you color this one.. them grapes should be good learnin's

16 hours ago, JLSleather said:

YOU KNOW better 'n' that... SOMETHING in the pic for SCALE :nono:

Carving looks good... kaint tell how far it raised though -- did I already mention some SCALE? :blush: 

Be nice to see how you color this one.. them grapes should be good learnin's

It's raised just the right amount.  Too little and why bother, too much and it looks unnatural.  Scale is irrelevant, as each piece is raised just the right amount for the size of the carving, which is far more important that a static measurement of how far it's raised.  Found that one out early on in my embossing career.  I figured more is better, but it turns out there are physical limitations to embossing leather.  Especially the trade offs between the stretch of thinner leathers and the extended depth you can get with thicker leather.

This piece wont be colored, but grapes are easy.  Peter gave me a class on this exact technique.  Essentially, thinned spirit dyes in varying degrees of intensity.  Looks difficult, but it's not.

Wow! Hey Mike, this is so good you can give up your day job! This ain't 'leather work'. It's leather art!

1 hour ago, Riem said:

Wow! Hey Mike, this is so good you can give up your day job! This ain't 'leather work'. It's leather art!

I don't have a day job!  Now what do I do?

Another amazing piece!

I love it !!!!!!!!  It looks absolutely stunning . 

I have ' The God Of Wine ( an cement version) hanging on my front fence post . Nowhere near as beautiful as that though.  

what sort of plug did you use  to make the face look 3 D  ?  Are we to know how it was done? 

I have a brother thats right into Greek mythology & all sorts of Roman, & medieval history etc.  . ( he made the cement version) My desk top even  has a   Rubens  ' Calming The Tempest'  with Neptune , so I can sorta relate to this. ( and I'm also  a  fan of Ray Harryhausen .... but thats off topic ) . 

Well done  :thumbsup:

HS

Edited by Handstitched

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I love it !!!!!!!!  It looks absolutely stunning . 

I have ' The God Of Wine ( an cement version) hanging on my front fence post . Nowhere near as beautiful as that though.  

what sort of plug did you use  to make the face look 3 D  ?  Are we to know how it was done? 

I have a brother thats right into Greek mythology & all sorts of Roman, & medieval history etc.  . ( he made the cement version) My desk top even  has a   Rubens  ' Calming The Tempest'  with Neptune , so I can sorta relate to this. ( and I'm also  a  fan of Ray Harryhausen .... but thats off topic ) . 

Well done  :thumbsup:

HS

This has a carved plug, a-la Al Stohlman's book about embossing.  I won't reiterate what he says there, but if you give it a look (Highly recommended), you'll see how it was done.

As for history and mythology, there is a long tradition of wine making here in Greece and in Italy, and Greeks do it differently than everyone else.  It's inspirational!  Lets see your cement one!

Fantastic work as always, love to see your stuff.  Maybe someday I'll be as good!

YinTx

17 hours ago, immiketoo said:

Greeks do it differently than everyone else

Yup, I've heard that too.

22 hours ago, YinTx said:

Fantastic work as always, love to see your stuff.  Maybe someday I'll be as good!

YinTx

You totally can do it.  Just a little more time in grade and push yourself just like you're doing now.

12 hours ago, robs456 said:

Yup, I've heard that too.

In more things than wine, and not ALL of them good, but overall, good wine.

You should be pleased that is some amazing work.  

Beautiful work Mike!

That is really, really cool!  Beautiful work!

Godly work!

Are those bulls to the sides of his head?  The females add a touch of darkness to the image. Lovely. 

On 11/10/2018 at 1:43 AM, immiketoo said:

yessir.  September, 2012.  Thank you!

Thanks, turned out nicely.

Thank you!  Facebook wanted to tag several people when I took the picture!

I have maybe 6 hours into this one?  The hair took a long time.

6-ish.

Thanks man!

New to carving....but your work is amazing!  Hopefully I can get to that point one day!  Just beautiful work! 

3 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Are those bulls to the sides of his head?  The females add a touch of darkness to the image. Lovely. 

One is a bull and the other is a leopard.  Dionysos had two sacred animals according to legend.  He would ride the leopard or behind the bull in a chariot.

2 hours ago, GeorgePolites said:

New to carving....but your work is amazing!  Hopefully I can get to that point one day!  Just beautiful work! 

Thank you everyone.  If you want to improve, this forum is a great place to find inspiration and instruction.

Ah, I see it now.

oh! I was thinking Dionysius. With his wild women. My head just wasn’t in the right pantheon. Lol 

Edited by ScoobyNewbie

looks cool man

On November 16, 2018 at 5:19 AM, ScoobyNewbie said:

Ah, I see it now.

oh! I was thinking Dionysius. With his wild women. My head just wasn’t in the right pantheon. Lol 

Between him and Bacchus, its nearly impossible to get it all straight.

7 minutes ago, nrk said:

looks cool man

Thank you kindly!

On 11/9/2018 at 9:20 AM, MikeG said:

Mike, your work never ceased to amaze (and humble) me.  Thanks for showing!

On 11/9/2018 at 8:35 AM, immiketoo said:

This one took a LONG time to finish.  I will change a few things if I do it again, but I am pleased with the result.

wine1.jpg

wine.jpg

Very nice work!