BorisBaddenov

Suggest a first project for a beginner

There is a local place to get headstones - I hadnt thought of them.  I was thinking of going to the kitchen counter top guys - to see if they have a granite scrap.  With that said, I'm not in ANY hurry to do tooling/carving, so while I might purchase a 'stone' - I'm not going to need it for a while :)

I appreciate every reply - I'm not sure if I was expecting this many or not.  

I have been "advised" to NOT make any purchases before the 25th of Dec :)     I was surprised to discover that I was NOT on the naughty list this year!

Peace-

Boris

A granite slab is of use other than stamping/tooling on. You can hold your leather on it to skive the edges - when the skive blade hits the granite neither it nor the surface are damaged. You can hold your leather on it to burnish the grain or the flesh side.

I don't do tooling so I don't need anything like a granite or marble slab, but I do skive, so I need a hard, glossy surface. 

I use the glass door off an old cooker; it's also useful when dyeing small items. If you're just starting and don't yet have any sharpening stones you can lay a sheet of wet & dry paper on the glass

You could also use the glass shelves from an old fridge

I have glass that I use for cutting intricate masking tape designs.  Put the tape on the glass, draw on the tape, cut on the lines, remove tape from glass, put tape on project, paint project, remove tape.

That same glass can be used like Zulu described.

Thanks!

Boris

Edited by BorisBaddenov

17 minutes ago, BorisBaddenov said:

I was surprised to discover that I was NOT on the naughty list this year!

Yeah, I got caught out like that once too...

I am still awaiting my Scalextric Set from 1972!

Santa is not necessarily reliable, I got a single soccer boot one year, with a note to say if I was good the other would come with the birthday elf.  My Aunt brought it on 26th Dec, but I have never trusted Santa since.

Happy to eat, drink and be merry, just not Santa Focussed

On 12/2/2018 at 12:35 PM, rustyj58 said:

Don't beat yourself up and keep at it.

A little late to the party on this one, but I have something to offer that adds to Rusty's good point.  For my first year I was overly cautious on all my projects, anxious even, worried I was going to screw it up.  Finally, I got tired of that approach and just came to terms with myself that it's just a hunk of leather.   If I screw it up, who cares?  Just start over.  From that point on I improved at a much quicker rate and felt far more confident...maybe even too confident.   Soon I felt like I could make anything and I did make some cool stuff just figuring it out on my own....shoes, luggage.   But 14 years later I'm comfortable in knowing that what that really means is I'm fearless and will take on anything, not that I can make anything.   Case in point, this last Christmas I decided to make a stuffed monkey for a buddy's newborn son.  Three attempts and all three went in the trash can. 

Monkey Face Portfolio.JPG

Edited by cseeger

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:36 AM, BorisBaddenov said:

There is a local place to get headstones - I hadnt thought of them.  I was thinking of going to the kitchen counter top guys - to see if they have a granite scrap.  With that said, I'm not in ANY hurry to do tooling/carving, so while I might purchase a 'stone' - I'm not going to need it for a while :)

I appreciate every reply - I'm not sure if I was expecting this many or not.  

I have been "advised" to NOT make any purchases before the 25th of Dec :)     I was surprised to discover that I was NOT on the naughty list this year!

Peace-

Boris

I drove by local tile and countertop installer and stopped in to see if he had any scrap marble or granite. Took me around the side of his building and said take what ever you want. found a piece of  1 1/2 granite about 14x14 had one unfinished side, when I offered to pay he just gave it to me. Another place to check.

5 hours ago, miacova said:

I drove by local tile and countertop installer and stopped in to see if he had any scrap marble or granite. Took me around the side of his building and said take what ever you want. found a piece of  1 1/2 granite about 14x14 had one unfinished side, when I offered to pay he just gave it to me. Another place to check.

yeah I got mine from a counter top installer too.  it was on the floor but the guy said it was discontinued and he couldn't sell that design.  told me to just take it.  its about 12x24 inches

12 hours ago, miacova said:

6 hours ago, Mark3031 said:

yeah I got mine from a counter top installer too.  it was on the floor but the guy said it was discontinued and he couldn't sell that design.  told me to just take it.  its about 12x24 inches

Perhaps you could go back and give them a key fob or something, as a thankyou