Nightshade

Cowboy 3200 wont run

I have a Cowboy 3200 that wont stitch.

I can move the hand wheel backwards but it just stops forward. No amount of force I want to try will make it go forward.

I removed the boffin and retreaded the machine.

I'm stumped...

What needle and thread combination?

Can you remove the hook or shuttle assembly, to see if this helps.

From the information, Im only considering a bind. But a bit more conversation could benefit troubleshooting.  

Good day

Floyd

Edited by brmax

Did it stitch before and now won't? If so what changes have been made to it since. If it's a new machine then contact the seller. Other wise more info will be needed - does it do it without a needle?

Hi Nightshade,

What happened immediately before it jammed up? If there was a thread jam you might have a fragment of thread in the shuttle race, which has such a tight tolerance that even a short length of thread can cause it to jam up solid. If there was a needle crash it's possible that the machine is been put out of time, or even that there's a piece of needle stuck somewheree. I'd suggest you don't force it any more --it can cause more problems than the one you're trying to solve!

If it were me I'd unthread the machine completely, pop the motor belt of the wheel and gently rock the wheel back and forth as far as it'll move while watching the shuttle hook very closely. If you're familiar with the operation of the machine you'll start to get an idea of where the problem lies.

Suggest you remove the needle and pop the hook assembly out and like Matt says, look for any foreign objects in this area.

Gary

Sorry, I tired and frustrated last night. The machine was running fine then on the down stroke it stopped and the motor whined trying to get it to move.

I checked to see if the needle was bent and it seems ok. I'm away from the shop but I'll get pix if they'll help.

Boogers in the shuttle race thingie ... I'd take the needle OUT, clean out the end teh machine (couple screws.. don't lose 'em).. maybe a chunk o' thread in there.  Verify it's clean, turn by hand before reinsert needle ... eliminate the simple first.

JLSLeather, KISS principle is my usual go to. In this I'm certain I know next to nothing on the workings of the machine.

Rather go on YouTube and really screw things up I'll ask ya'll.

Almost certainly the small screw on the outside surface of the hook.  it holds the spring for the bobbin case onto the hook itself.   It tends to slowly back out, and the hook will start to catch every now and then, and then eventually lock up.    Go here, watch the video on how to remove the hook.  Then check the OUTSIDE surface of the hook and make sure there are no protrusions.  You'll probably find the screw is poking out.  screw it all the way back in, tightly.   Do not attempt to pull it out and put lock tight on it, or you'll be in for a good 'ole fashioned spring wrestling match.  

I missed it --- didn't see no screw on the hook itself anywhere in that video.