SilverForgeStudio

Help- Newbie with a sloppy Oilskin! Get a chuckle here! How to dry it?

Going to make several bags and an apron for myself for the shop (Ok, ok... So its actually just half of a one car garage with a lawnmower in the middle of the floor- but its my space for now)

Bought a 4-5 oz Tandy brown Oilskin side to make a few things- it arrived and it is seriously leaving spots on everything it touches!

How long does this last and can I accelerate the "Drying" of this oil? Im hoping to make shaving kits for the fellows in the family- but not if this thing keeps weeping- who wants that in their suitcase!?

Here are my thoughts- get a chuckle here folks!

1. layer it in towels, wash the towels every so often and wait till it wicks down...
  2. just make the stuff and then deal with it later
  3. use some mild (1:10 ratio) water/dawn mix and spritz/sponge the surface repeatedly
  4. As for help on Leatherworker.net and see what you guys say...

So right now Im trying number 4... any thoughts?

The time that this skin will need to get itself balanced out is really unknown because each hide absorbs differently.  You can wife this thing down till you are blue in the face and would still be experiencing some leach effect as these hides are soaked to the core.  For future projects, regardless of what they going to be, you may want to consider getting either veg-tan leather or use chrome tanned leathers.  With the veg-tan you can condition it to the level that it needs to be brought to whereas your oil skin is intentionally overdone.  I am willing to bet that someone in the store where you got that skin didn't understand what the outcomes would be and directed you to this leather.  This is a common thread in today's retail world where the sales associate on the floor has no real experience or knowledge of the product aside from what they are told it is; used to be that everyone in a Tandy store was an experienced leather worker and knew what they were talking about and that is why Tandy lost my business a very long time ago.

I know it isn't what you wanted to hear but I would recommend that you research the various types of leathers and how they are tanned so you can gain a good knowledge of them and you won't be needing to ask an inexperienced sales associate who doesn't have any knowledge.

2 hours ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

I know it isn't what you wanted to hear 

Not a chance NV! This is exactly what I wanted to hear- Im not bashing Tandy- Im just naive and inexperienced- Thank you! 

You could roll it up in something very absorbent like clean newspaper, or bath towels.  Do not use bath towels washed with fabric softener because they absorb worse.

You could wipe it down with solvent such as maphtha or nail polish remover, or clean it with Dawn (only) blue (only) dishwashing liquid.  Only Dawn blue.  It cuts oil and grease somewhat and will help lift some out.

You could also buy the cheapest kitty litter you can find, which is made of a type of absorbent clay.  Cover the leather on both sides (ie a layer, then leather, then another layer of litter).  That is used for pulling oil stains out of driveways and works somewhat.  You'll have a mess of dust to brush and clean off your leather later, but saddle soap should help with that.

You won't get tons of it out but if you can get a fair amount out the rest will settle in and stabilize.

When you are done with your project be sure to put on a good topcoat sealer and a water/stain protector spray.  Those will help.

@johnv474 Thanks for the suggestions! apologies for getting back to you so late! I definitely have more Kitty Litter than I can shake a stick at for now so that is a possibility!