Mattsbagger

Website Critique

We put up a website from Shopify. I wonder if some of you with more experience could look at it and see what you think. We have had a problem getting good pics. We have a high dollar camera and looked at tutorials on taking pics. We have tried cell phone pics and end editing also.

Thank you.

https://www.smithcustomleather.com/

Dude your site SUCKS :rofl:

Kidding, kidding .... looks pretty good.  I aint big on bright white, but that could be my age showing? 

Looks pretty straight forward. I might have put "customizable products" last in the list -- likely more people to see it.  But, the fact I would have done it that way MAY mean it's right the way it is :o

+ Loads quick 

+ Keeps the shopper on the page - easy to get back to main page

+ Menu always accessible

+ Points out delay in ship time

- Email link isn't a link?

+/- "could" be a phone number helps.  IF you're going to use a phone number, get a number that is FOR your business.

I see lots of reflections and shadows.  Try using a light tent, or photograph outside in the shade.  You want diffused lighting to reduce reflections and provide the same amount of light overall.  Take a look at this thread

There are others that you can search out both here and on many other websites.  You need good resolution on your camera, but don't need high resolution (large file) when you post.  In general, skip the smart phone as you have less control.  (But some are really good too!)  Make sure your camera is well supported, no jiggles, especially when taking photos without a flash.

Tom

Overall very nice, clean to the point, price right there under each item and pages load fast. My threshold is under 3 seconds load-time or I'm gone. I would suggest:

1. Providing contact info like address and phone number.

2. Reduce information about the type of leather used. If you use  "Wickett & Craig full-grain leather" put it on the front page rather then in each item unless you use something different.

The price of the camera has little to do with how good your pictures turn out. In my former life I owned my own photography business.

Here is a shopify link: https://www.shopify.com/blog/12206313-the-ultimate-diy-guide-to-beautiful-product-photography

My thoughts are that you really need to decide what you are taking your pictures on and keep the background consistent. JLS has given his thoughts on the white background and I can see that stance as well...it is kind of boring.

But why to use it...it creates consistency, it highlights the product, it makes color balance easy.

Now it looks like the background to your site is not true white (#ffffff) which is fine, you could just use the hex number for the background of your site to file the image. 

I know you are just a store front and that is fine, but a static home page with some attention getting images will get someone to stay on your site. That is the key...you only have around 5 seconds of someones attention before they move on.

How we do that is the trick that everyone is trying to figure out. You have to make some sort of connection to them and them to you. Why should I be looking at your site? In all honesty it took me about 6 seconds to scroll your link and then I was done.

So, I will say that you need a home page that incorporates your logo...right now your logo stands out in a bad way because it is a white box on your site. Draws the wrong attention.

Next you need to make an about page the helps people see who and what you are...and how you got there. Help them connect to you.

The last page is a contact us page that has a contact form on it. That way you aren't just sticking an email address up there.

When you get that you might look into: return or exchange page, privacy policy, terms and conditions and the likes.

Thank you guys. Pictures are our nemesis.lol We have shot over and over with light tents, no tent, camera, phone. Will keep working on it.

43 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

Thank you guys. Pictures are our nemesis.lol We have shot over and over with light tents, no tent, camera, phone. Will keep working on it.

Ok So let me see if I can show you my work flow. I open in Lightroom and do the heavy adjustments and then pull it into Photoshop to get the background pure white.

First here is the setup I use here for now. Were are in the process of construction...so my space is in flux.

PSTest_03.jpg.d4344806e5555d009060a5021aadacc3.jpg

So in Photoshop it is, use wand tool and then shift+click to ad to the selection. Sometimes I have to use pen tool to get a closer more exact selection. Then shift+f6 to pull up the feather selection (in the menu Select>Modify>Feather

Hopefully this link works:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tjrXI0tA96F8niFbqJV5rvK4JswsxMAg

I will put the pictures here that I edited in the video.

OstrichWallet_01.jpg.187c5bc2c74372c206b6cb572eaaaccf.jpg

OstrichWallet_02.jpg.64986956ee1ee1a271dd89e32a73dcd0.jpg

We have Photoshop express not the big full blown one. My wife does the computer stuff. Everything we look at is like use this setting or that setting the adust  in photoshop.  But then she want to slam her head on the table because using photoshop express not the same and can’t seem to get good results. All that stuff you just said is Greek to me @TonySFLDLTHR. Lol

You can still get the same results in Express. All I am doing is selecting an area and replacing the color.

If she needs any help accomplishing it, just PM me and we will figure out how to make it happen.

Maybe I am thinking elements and not express.

Edited by TonySFLDLTHR

32 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

You may not be interested, but there are various ways to gain access to Photoshop and Lightroom at a reasonable price. This link shows several options. Check the Students and Teachers section for discounted student pricing.

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

Thanks my wife works at a University and is a licensed educator!

I like it!  One thing that might be good is to expand your "about us" section a little.  Maybe you could sell yourself as an artisan in that section.  You're work is beautiful, btw!  Very clean!

I'm not one to really care about your "about" page -- most of it just made up BS anyway (I mean web sites in general).  But in the end, I want a GOOD PRODUCT, and I don't much care HOW you got there, or who works for you, or if you grow your own cows.  None of that matters to me -- Im interested in the PRODUCT I"m buying.  

Not once have I been in a store and asked a cashier about what else they do, unless she's SO cute she got me temporarily NOT thinking about what I'm here to buy (which has happened, though not frequent ;) ).  Never asked one about the interview for their job, or what they did when they were younger.  Don't care if she went to school for this position, or how long she's been doing it (though, that cute girl MAY be asked when she's done for the day, and if my buddy is with me she may be asked about any sisters ...).

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

I'm not one to really care about your "about" page -- most of it just made up BS anyway (I mean web sites in general).  But in the end, I want a GOOD PRODUCT, and I don't much care HOW you got there, or who works for you, or if you grow your own cows.  None of that matters to me -- Im interested in the PRODUCT I"m buying.  

Not once have I been in a store and asked a cashier about what else they do, unless she's SO cute she got me temporarily NOT thinking about what I'm here to buy (which has happened, though not frequent ;) ).  Never asked one about the interview for their job, or what they did when they were younger.  Don't care if she went to school for this position, or how long she's been doing it (though, that cute girl MAY be asked when she's done for the day, and if my buddy is with me she may be asked about any sisters ...).

And yet, the front page of your website has exactly what I'm talking about. ;)

Also, for all that that has  been said, you can use the background to tell Photoshop Elements that an area is white. Can get interesting results if you use another color other than white.

Another tip is to select your object in its entirety, then invert the selection and fill with white.

Bear in mind that was a quick and dirty job. I also used GIMP. 

purse.jpg

Oh - well that's about the LEATHER.  I thought you meant them OTHER folks.. you know the ones -- wen't to high school in Yugoslavia (or whatever)... in teh french foregin legion (or whatever) til I was older, then worked as a yutubetramp til I was even older ... :rofl:

And other assorted BS having nothing to do with what I'm trying to buy ;)

Do your programs not allow you to use transparent backgrounds?

Edited by JLSleather

33 minutes ago, Tob said:

Also, for all that that has  been said, you can use the background to tell Photoshop Elements that an area is white. Can get interesting results if you use another color other than white.

Another tip is to select your object in its entirety, then invert the selection and fill with white.

Bear in mind that was a quick and dirty job. I also used GIMP. 

purse.jpg

Our big problem every thing you said is like you are speaking Greek. Lol

22 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Oh - well that's about the LEATHER.  I thought you meant them OTHER folks.. you know the ones -- wen't to high school in Yugoslavia (or whatever)... in teh french foregin legion (or whatever) til I was older, then worked as a yutubetramp til I was even older ... :rofl:

And other assorted BS having nothing to do with what I'm trying to buy ;)

Do your programs not allow you to use transparent backgrounds?

I hear ya.  I was not particularly clear.  I don't think a bunch of irrelevant stuff that a customer has to sort through is a very good strategy either.  I was thinking of something like you've done with your site.  I wouldn't say it's just about the leather.  A person looking at your site knows not only that you use quality leather, they know that you're a one man shop, they can discern your guiding philosophy (quality over hype and no BS), and that you know and can articulate what a person should be looking for in a leather good (educating your customer). 

Ah, yeah sorry.

https://digital-photography-school.com/white-balance-on-a-jpeg-in-photoshop-elements-and-lightroom/ to set white balance.

https://www.essential-photoshop-elements.com/change-background-color.html  to change background color.

Sometimes I prefer a web page tutorial, if I screw up a step (which happens all too frequently), I can just skim the page to get back on track. Harder to do with videos. That is my experience.

I know Im late to the game- apologies.

One thing I have used in the past to assist me in another employment venture is looking around at a community college or university art program and having a chat with a photography instructor- We used students learning commercial photography for "test-product" shoots and the students worked free (for a project grade) and the caveat is their photography was used with their name citation for them to build a professional reference. 

Worked out well until the university started wanting to charge us for the studio/student time (But we were able to get 4 product runs and 2 catalogs of stock photos out of it FREE!)

Just a thought if you have the ability to schmooze and the opportunity to be close enough to tap this as a resource.

This is Mrs Mattsbagger (the website chick). I want to thank you all for your honest, encouraging, and educational responses. I’ve spent the past 3 or so weeks working hard to incorporate as many of the suggestions as I could. Thanks Jeff @JLSleather for the push to figure out hyperlinking our email and a number of the visual description things. And @Northmount, my mind is blown! Your advice to take pics in shade was the key! Like it changed everything! I’ve decided to go with a wood background as I prefer it more than floating and it also helps to mask some of my emerging skills as a photo editor. They aren’t perfect by any means, but they suck less! I’d like to invite you all to revisit smithcustomleather.com to see your suggestions in action. 

Thanks for being such a great community!

Steph

Sorry I missed this , other Matt and Mrs other Matt. Looks like you got plenty of great feedback already.

10 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

And @Northmount, my mind is blown! Your advice to take pics in shade was the key!

I'm pleased that I could help.  Your site looks great!

Tom