kyleatherworker

Brown Dye......why is it so hard to find a good brown?

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have a favorite medium brown for dying holsters and belts with? 

I typically use the Fiebings Pro Dye and love it. But, I cannot find a good medium brown that I like. I love the pro dye as it doesn't streak and give a nice even coat. 

I have a bottle of water based Eco Flow Timber Brown. It's about the right shade with enough red in it. But, it blotches up terribly on the leather!

I'm looking to buy some Angelus dye as I found what I think is a good color from the online swatches. Does anyone have any feedback on the Angelus dyes?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Craig

Angeles is a great acrylic paint, vary easy to mix, easy to apply. some colors, i think brown was one of them, that you have to add just a tiny bit of water to it so it doesn't streak as much. the pigments are usually pretty good.  but the paint does come a bit thick for some of them, not sure why. So if you get some, just make sure to test it out first before diving in. and try watering it down to make it smoother if needed.

Do you know you can mix pro dye to get a good color?

just add 3 drops your brown and a drop of a darker color, red, blue or what ever, then mix it and test it on a scrap. 

Do lots and keep track of your mixes. It’s fun, and you get exactly what you want.

Edited by ScoobyNewbie

Thanks for the replies. 

I hadn't thought about mixing colors. I'll have to look up the mixing chart now :)

Are you looking for a lighter brown, darker brown?  Just wondering what you are trying to achieve?  Photos?

I like the suggestions given, especially the testing on scrap.  Over the last week I have been testing some variations in process on some scrap, oiling, dyeing, antiquing, with some new colors and got some really cool results.  I had never used Oxblood dye color and found that the combination I used wiped on (with a rag) then covered with an Eco-Flo Antique Stain in Briar Brown and wiped down made a really nice, dark antiqued blood red/brown color on the finished product.  Pretty cool to just experiment with it and keep notes.

I have only tried Angeles one time.  It was their Navy Blue.  It required LOTS of buffing.   I decided, right then, that I would be sticking with Fiebing's Pro Oil from then on.  But that's just one person's experience.

nick

Just diluting the dye can make a lighter shade.

I understand (haven't tried it yet) that airbrushing will give the best control over color shades.

Some people like using just neetsfoot oil and sunshine instead of dye.

On 11/12/2018 at 11:13 PM, Ragingstallion said:

Angeles is a great acrylic paint, vary easy to mix, easy to apply. some colors, i think brown was one of them, that you have to add just a tiny bit of water to it so it doesn't streak as much. the pigments are usually pretty good.  but the paint does come a bit thick for some of them, not sure why. So if you get some, just make sure to test it out first before diving in. and try watering it down to make it smoother if needed.

He's talking about Angelus dye, not paint. 
The Angelus paints are nice, but now when I use an airbrush I'm switching to Jacquard....

Edit: Ohdammit, replying to a 6 mts old post, soz....

Edited by robs456