Hello;

Can anyone offer advise on how to sew a raised nose piece for a horse halter using a 441?  This is the first one I've made but it required a round about technique.   Always looking to improve! 

Many thanks in advance,

Silverd

20181111_164149[1].jpg

Edited by Silverd
Added Photo

@Silverd Wow, 4 posts!  Please give the server and internet time to respond instead of hitting the submit button over and over.  I will delete the "extra" posts.

Tom

Ok.  Sorry.  System didn't appear to respond until the fourth attempt.

Thank you

Don

12 hours ago, Silverd said:

System didn't appear to respond until the fourth attempt.

That happens.  I'm not sure if it's because the server that LW.net is on becomes a bit overloaded at times, or because the internet connection between you/us and the site gets bogged down at times.  Once you hit submit, the command goes through.  Multiple hits can go through and produce several posts with the server responding to each one.  I saw 8 repeated posts one day!

Like our parents told us many times, patience is a virtue!

Tom

I don´t know the process in particular but in the German leather trade it is called "Bombieren" or "Bombierung" - this has nothing to do with "bombing" - of course. You often find the term Bobierung or Bombiert among male leather belts.

Sample:

http://www.mabel.de/gurtel/herrengurtel

https://shop-hoffnung-berlin.de/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=9

The old Singer 45K and Adler 4 / 5 had a special presser foot for this kind of work

I thinks there are belts with and without a padding layer between the top and bottom layer. I think the edges of the inner side of the top layer have been skived a little bit.

Hope this helps.

Bombierfuß Adler 4 5 Singer 45K.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

You are amazing my friend.  Very interesting!

Silverd

Hi

Need some advice.

I purchased a well used but rebuilt Claes 30 from Landis International earlier this year.  I'd been using it successfully for odds and ends when suddenly the presser foot will no longer drop all the way down to the needle plate, and it will no longer sew a stitch longer than 1\8".  Otherwise sews well.  Landis has been useless in providing a solution and I've not located US service provider  Any ideas?

Silverd 

20180904_065508.jpg

20180904_065548.jpg

1.) I´d try is increasing the foot pressure.

2.) I´d check if the "hook nose end" #39 is hanging on the lower rim (see red arrow in 2nd picture) of the needle bar bushing if not this could be the problem.

3.) I´d check if the internal spring #41 is in place

Hope this helps

image.png.418c818245754f95737b95e0ae14e6f7.png

image.jpeg.7618e037cf4991e2ecf93376d8c81615.jpeg

Edited by Constabulary

Hi

Hook 39 did at one point snap off of the bushing but was replaced.  Internal spring 41 is in place.   Presser foot appears to come down against a hard stop.  Note the presser foot slider at top of head that shows evidence of reduced travel  (black oxide finish has rubbed off from when the machine operated correctly in the past)

Silverd 

20181128_080047.jpg

okay so then it most likely is the slider that you have fixed too far right and / or in an odd angle and it is hanging on the casting - move the slider a bit to the left and check again I think thats it. ;)

20180904_065548.jpg.ec42adf80637f0f0102a0041cca74e58.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

Hi

I found nothing out of the ordinary during my delve into the Claes  head.  And it sews perfectly as long as the material is sufficiently thick so the presser foot can reach.  

My theory at this point is that the cylinder arm is been bent down.  Have you seen this before?  Can you possibly measure the distance between the needle plate and bottom of head on your machine for me?

Silverd

Edited by Silverd

Hi Constabulary,

When I had the head taken apart I measured the needle diameter bar at wear area and non wear area.  The difference is about 0.003" -0.004".  I think replacement is warranted.  The presser foot cam also shows sign of wear which probably contributes to the reduced max stitch length possible on my machine.

I can buy these parts from Landis int. In Canada, but was wondering if you have access to them?  Also, you included a repair manual that looked very useful.  Is that for sale by chance, or would you consider selling a photo copy version?

Thanks!

Silverd