Ragingstallion

what is it? is it worth it?

so, just browsing CL and this is the first match that came up under sewing machine. what is it? is it worth it to even try it? they are asking $150 image.png.263124dbc2ba4cc7600c246677871713.png

It is a Chinese or Vietnamese shoe patcher. They are used by street people who repair shoes in SouthEast Asia.

That’s less than I paid to get mine that came straight from Hong Kong. They are usually very rough and require quite a bit of time cleaning, de-burring and polishing. That said, after mine was given a make over that took longer than I expected, I had a machine that did a surprisingly good job of sewing. It handled a rather wide array of materials using several weights of thread consistently. I ran 69 all the way up to 207 and it worked great. I picked up a stand for about $30 at Harbor Frieght and was just right to mount it on. If you don’t plan on doing a lot of sewing this machine can fill the need quite well...if your willing to take the time to “personalize” it. 

For what it's designed for it's not a bad little machine, but as Joe said, be prepared to spend a bit of time getting it to run nicely. They aren't intended to do long stitch runs as the bobbin is very small. If you don't have a patcher then it could be a useful, and cheap, addition but it is not intended to replace a "normal" machine, e.g. a flat bed or cylinder arm machine. It will get into places that they can't.

I was just looking at ebay and these things are all over it when you search leather sewing machines. Some are as low as $130 with $5 shipping. Just throwing that out there....

Not all of the Chinese street patchers are equal. I know of one brand that was fully cleaned up, toleranced and sewn off before it was sold. One of our members sold them.

Lots of video's on Youtube

On 11/12/2018 at 9:35 PM, Hockeymender said:

That’s less than I paid to get mine that came straight from Hong Kong. They are usually very rough and require quite a bit of time cleaning, de-burring and polishing. That said, after mine was given a make over that took longer than I expected, I had a machine that did a surprisingly good job of sewing. It handled a rather wide array of materials using several weights of thread consistently. I ran 69 all the way up to 207 and it worked great. I picked up a stand for about $30 at Harbor Frieght and was just right to mount it on. If you don’t plan on doing a lot of sewing this machine can fill the need quite well...if your willing to take the time to “personalize” it. 

What stand did you get from HF? I have one of these machines and currently just have it C-clamped to the edge of one of my desks...

I just picked up one of these machines off Amazon for $130 with free 2 day shipping last week. I have had an awesome experience with it so far! I did have to get a rag soaked with denatured alcohol and wipe the whole thing down. I then went on to re-oiling and greasing the spots and points that needed it. Next I filed and polished the bobbin carrier and shuttle assembly, then went on to polishing the arm of the machine. After getting the timing set perfectly I loaded the bobbin with #69 bonded nylon thread and same in the top thread. I had this machine sewing beautifully within an hour of opening the box. Mine came with a few extra bobbins, a spare package of 10 Hax1 or "15x1" 110/18 needles, a spare shuttle and carrier, and a black spool of what looks like upholstery thread. I ordered some size 22 needles and #138 bonded nylon thread from Matt over at Bantam Saddle & Tack so I'm excited to see how the machine runs with that thicker thread. I also ordered a spare presser foot for the machine to experiment with to try and get one side of the foot much closer to the needle for sewing close to the edge of a wallet or other leather piece. The main reason I bought the machine was to sew laser engraved leather patches onto hats that I sell. Before the machine I was just adhering them with E6000 but I like the look of the sewn on patch much better and so do my customers! I absolutely love this machine so far and for $130 if I had to replace the whole thing once a year it would still be worth it to me!

2 hours ago, Kpi890 said:

What stand did you get from HF? I have one of these machines and currently just have it C-clamped to the edge of one of my desks...

https://www.harborfreight.com/universal-bench-grinder-stand-3184.html