taydiggz

Door Handle, How the Heck??

Please keep in mind that this thing is only 1.75” diameter and over 4 feet long!  How did they do it?  It also has the cut out for the tube that intersects the handle near the end. The leather wraps around without any other stitchss on the opposite side. 

92FF4137-FDE3-41BA-AA16-6202CDE1CE29.jpeg

I would guess they slid it on to the handle before the tube was inserted. How they would then secure the tube, I don't know. It's possible the tube self-locks as soon as it's inserted.

Without seeing the whole setup from a distance, I can only guess!

If I were to do this to a similar railing already constructed, I would first make the pattern which is simple enough. Then I would prefer punch my holes for the seam at a 45 ish degree angle. I would then stitch it together. The angled holes would allow use of straight needles. 

Alternatively, I might use curved needles to stitch the seam. Then pound the seam with a flat faced smooth hammer to flatten it out. 

That's how I would do it lol. There is Probably a better way 

There is a double layer each side of the seam 

Basically sew the two inners to the outer doing the border at the same time. Then sew the inner two parts together when on the pipe and stick the outer to it at the seam hiding the inner seam

I haven't tried that type of stitch on my canes.  Looks like it might be worth experimenting with.  I like the look.  If you don't glue the area under the stitching down you will have enough room to work your needles.

So essentially it was hand stitched on the tube? Its possible that the intersection tube was threaded and screwed on after the fact. 

Hmm, looking again it looks machine stitched maybe. And the hole for the crossbar looks like an afterthought as the stitching doesn't appear to stop short like it should. Looks like they made a sleeve for the handle then cut the hole afterwards. Maybe camera angle is messing with me?

What you say could be right but I think pre-punched and hand sewn. I think the stitch at the hole goes around the edge

Also I agree, leather tube sewn and fitted and cross metal tube fitted in thru a pre-cut hole after leather piece fitted

2 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Hmm, looking again it looks machine stitched maybe. And the hole for the crossbar looks like an afterthought as the stitching doesn't appear to stop short like it should. Looks like they made a sleeve for the handle then cut the hole afterwards. Maybe camera angle is messing with me?

I don't think they would hand sew it. Takes too long and long straight runs are what machines do best. Here's my thoughts.

I think Stetson912 is on the right track.  Machine stitch the panel flat with the folded edges at the seam.  It would be easy to leave long tails at the hole location to tie the ends off after the hole is cut. The hole wasn't pre-punched because the shape needing to be cut isn't a perfect half circle.  It's possible it wasn't cost effective to make a die the correct shape.  It's also a detail that no one but a leather worker would notice or really care about (sacrilege, I know).   Cutting after the fact also ensures good alignment.

That explains what we can see.  I think  the leather was stitched and glued on by hand using something along the lines of a quick and dirty ladder stitch .  It wouldn't show with the edges butted up against each other so it doesn't need to be pretty, it doesn't even need to be all that strong (more sacrilege). It may be a high wear location but it's not a high stress location.  The glue is doing most of the work.  The stitching is just keeping the edges from separating. There's also a tiny bit of white showing at the top where the edges meet.  I think it's more than where they tied it off.  I think there's a third line of stitches there.

Edited by rodneywt1180b

A pic from the back of the handle may provide a clue or maybe the answer.  Good puzzle

Layo

The hole cut looks a bit rough and jagged too, as if done after the fact. 

I love all the different thoughts and ideas and possibilities everyone comes up with. Several of them would work too. Just goes to show, more n one way to dress a salad... More n one way to skin your nose... No that's not it.... well, you get my drift eh? Haha