FNG76

Perspectives and knowledge on tools sought please

First I'm sure this has been covered across many threads and posts and I've done searched and read etc but couldn't really find what I was after in a consolidated thread for ease and simplicity.....

Tools!!!! Buy once cry once!!! Quality doesn't cost it pays!!! 

Two sayings that largely I believe in with the caveat that it's not always true and there is a point of diminishing returns for most of us. So buy the best quality you can and make sure it's all the quality you're going to need might be another way to put it?

Example my old Savage 110 still puts higher quality rifles to shame loaded with surplus M2 ball and shoots on itself at 100 with Remington JSP's. It puts the bullet right where it's needed the same as more expensive rifles out to 350 yards... Farthest I've ever dropped a deer and yes I DROP deer... It's rare they even go 50 yards and most of those were closer shots....

So using that let's look at stitching irons. Common sense says the hole size should be matched to the thread size and overly large holes are going to look less appealing than a hole that virtually disappears once the item is sewn. I've noticed a huge disparity in hole sizes with different brands and manufacturers of irons. Chinese seeming to often leave a huge square hole that's blatant after stitching on my limited research...

So I've been buying tools... Figured might as well buy quality first so that tools weren't limiting the quality of my results the blame would always be on me. Spend the money up front rather than buy cheap and then spend that same money later costing more in total.

Vergez Blanchard and Barry King are mostly what I've been buying with some C.S. Osborne thrown in then I discovered some well regarded Japanese tools that Ian Atkinson recommends... Then a wonderful looking stitching iron I think it was bikermut? Mentioned to someone Crimson Irons? Crimson Hides? Singapore company but the review I read with hole pattern comparison looked beautiful!!!

So I guess what I'm trying to ask is for suggestions on tools, brands specifically that'll be quality and quality enough for what anyone would ever need without having to go the penis envy route of oh I've got the Rolls Royce when these other brands will give the same results... 

Anything worth doing is worth doing right. And the end results are always what matters. Like we used to say 1000 attaboys don't make up for one F up. So I want to do it right. I don't mind spending the money if I've got it provided the product delivers, but I'm not so small that I have to be designer when another brand will do identical for less....

I hope my ramblings make sense.... Been a long last few days and I'm exhausted so apologies for any incoherencies.

To try to limit things let's say tools for projects that would be suitable for 5&7 SPI projects. Wallets, sheaths, holsters, cases etc... Theoretically simple stuff from the neophyte mind.   

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance! Eyes are bugging so might not reply until tomorrow.

Edited by Johanna

If all you're concerned about is the end result, there are a lot of irons out there that will do the trick, however...the ease of use, and by default the lower chance of a screw up come from higher end tools.  With irons its a matter of pulling them out of the leather as much as it is going through the leather.  If they stick, things stretch when you pull them out.  The make what should be good holes ugly.  Crimson Hides are pretty good, but KS Punch are better.  They are a bit spendy, but they are sweet.  Also, you have a choice of slits or diamond holes like an awl would leave.  The choice is totally up to you.  Both will yield a pleasing stitch provided you're doing your end of the work.  Buy a good awl, you'll still need it on occasion.  I like the ones made by LederLouis in Switzerland.  Not too expensive, but super to use and the leave a perfect hole.  

i like my Crimsons!

i have the unnamed diamond chisels (rhombus shape), which i find that it makes fairly large holes on the upper piece when you try to knock them thru 2 or more layers. I also have unnamed european/french style chisels which pretty much make slits.. for some of the sizes, i can go thru 2 layers or leather, for some, only one, after which I have to bring out the awl.. 

like mike said, if it sticks coming out, it tends to pull the leather.. i've managed to refine the prongs on my diamond chisels by honing them on the DMT Dia-Sharp 4" Fine and Extra Fine, before stropping them with Dialux Blanc. hard to use the Coarse on one of the prongs as 2/6 tips seemed to have flatten out.. much easier to pull out after the "refinement"..

I have no experience with any other brands except the Crimsons, and I like it due to the shape of the hole it punches, the polished prongs, and the ease of tapping in/pulling out .. I currently have them in 3.25mm 1+2+5+9 prongs (SGD290) as well as the 3.25mm reverse 2+5 (SGD130). Come next month, i will probably lay down some more cash (SGD260) for the 4.0mm 2+5+9 set (since the 1 prong is the same for 3.0mm till 4.0mm)

Hi,

I understand where your coming from with your post.  I would say that from my experience so far that KevinLee from CrazyCut leather tools offers excellent quality for a very competitive price. He offers 2 styles of pricking iron ( diamond and european) as well as many other tools. Its really easy to contact him via Instagram and make the order from there or from his website https://www.dhgate.com/store/20160123

So far I have bought  my pricking irons, awls, trim knife, edgers, electric creaser tips, electric creaser box, and other supplies from him and I have been nothing but pleased with the ease of ordering. The quality is top notch and he can customize a lot of items. 

Hope this helps.