BlackJoe

2 different colors with the same dye and sealer

I dyed two separate pieces of leather then sealer but both pieces turned out a different color. The pieces are cut from the same leather. What am I doing wrong?

Edited by BlackJoe

I would love to see them.

Did you oil one and not the other? Even a touch more dye on one than the other can do it. Hides can also be darker in spots than others or have different characteristics in one area than another. 

If the method of application was the same in both cases, then id say it's down to how much dye was used or some variance in the hide itself. 

I used Fiebing’s leather dye and neutral resolene. Believing that i used a different amount of dye, I dyed another piece and it still doesn’t match the other. So I have 2 matching straps that don’t match the sheath.

SOmetimes happens, and sometimes pretty tough to see it coming.  So sometimes, like on this one where they need to match, I dyed the mahogany panels for the holsters AND the mag pouches (not yet done) at the same time and THEN cut out the pieces.

bnb.jpg

If you used the same leather its almost always the application, unless you managed to go from firm to soft leather like flank or belly.  All bets are off when you get to the soft parts.  Since you havent said how you applied it, its difficult to diagnose, but even the slightest variance in leather prep can affect color absorption.  Slicking one piece and not slicking the other for example.  And, as mentioned before, it CAN happen for unknown reasons, but it's usually something you can track down.  More details and pics would help.

I applied with a doub and wiped away the excess. As far as the sealer, I applied with a sponge then wiped away the excess then buffed.

6C8EB536-53B3-4CDB-9C6E-67F69CF76DAE.jpeg

Edited by BlackJoe

I am going to say thats almost 100% the leather's fault, not yours.  Those look like totally different dye colors, not just different shades from the same color.  I can understand your frustration.

Yeah, that's a rather extreme difference, all right.

A related problem I've had as well, is that Tan Kote and Resoline have a solvent effect. This can work to our advantage with cleaning up antiquing, but I've had it effect panels that were dyed, when the finish coat is wiped on, leaving it "splotchy", changing from a smooth solid color to a "distressed" look, when unintended.
I'm guessing that it's probably better to spray the finish coats if possible. Any thoughts on this? Does light spraying help "freeze" the colors better?

This looks like old leather that has already seen some use and has patina, especially noting the lacing holes and edges, and the fact that one side of the piece is light and one side dark where it appears to have been folded in the middle.  Also looks like a finish has been added and worn off of one side.  What are we looking at?

YinTx

I am making a hatchet sheath. I cut the body and strap from the same piece of leather, folded, punched, dyed, and sealed. I did both pieces at the same time. The piece above the body is the top strap. I don’t mind the body being 2 toned because I like the worn look but the strap doesn’t match either piece.

Edited by BlackJoe

1 hour ago, BlackJoe said:

I am making a hatchet sheath. I cut the body and strap from the same piece of leather, folded, punched, dyed, and sealed. I did both pieces at the same time. The piece above the body is the top strap. I don’t mind the body being 2 toned because I like the worn look but the strap doesn’t match either piece.

BlackJoe,

So what I am curious about is was the leather previously used, or did you cut it from a brand new side of leather?

YinTx

Maybe one part of the leather piece had some contaminant on the surface. There is probably no way you will ever be able to know if that is what happened. Its unfortunate that your 2nd strap also turned out different.

If the pieces were not sealed after dye, I would suggest trying to lighten the dye or clean the surface with a solvent of some sort, or maybe saddle soap, then re-apply the dye. That's all I have, sorry.