Has anyone bought this book?

https://fashionary.org/products/bag-design#

It seems pricey, but is it worth it?

I have the 1960 W C Double book on Handbag construction already, but it is factory oriented (loads of good stuff in there) but he was head of Leathergoods at Cordwainers Technical College in 1950s / 1960s when it was very trade focussed.

So I am looking for something a wee bit more user friendly.

Is there a forum where we can post reviews of Books, Magazines, Videos?

Thanks for feedback

Harry

What are you trying to find Harry? Patterns, construction techniques, ideas? If you understand construction techniques and create your own patterns, this book may give you some ideas. However, there are no detailed patterns. The drawings that you see in the description of the book are pretty much all it amounts to. I found it interesting, but if I were you I would see if a local library could get it in for you to check out if possible. If there is something specifically you are wanting from it, I can try and find it for you.

kat

3 minutes ago, blue duck said:

What are you trying to find Harry? Patterns, construction techniques, ideas? If you understand construction techniques and create your own patterns, this book may give you some ideas. However, there are no detailed patterns. The drawings that you see in the description of the book are pretty much all it amounts to. I found it interesting, but if I were you I would see if a local library could get it in for you to check out if possible. If there is something specifically you are wanting from it, I can try and find it for you.

kat

Thank you Kat

I am trained, but a long time back, and was looking at technique refreshers, as much as design,

The pictures looked promising, but I did wonder if it was like a film trailer where ALL of the good stuff was revealed in the advert, so there was little left that you would not have seen.

Had it been about half the price I think I would have been more taken by it.

Unfortunately Rural UK and Local Library do not go hand in hand.

Best

Harry

Thank you Brian

I'd seen that, but the UK Amazon page has it at 38 buck, but no one had commented on it.

Best

Harry

Not very big at 128 pages

The british Libary hold a massive selection of books in fact all uk printed books plus many US, If you go to your nearest library some time then they will get you a copy and tell you when its in , may may take about six weeks, or at least it did mine, you pick up and give back at local libary. you may even be able to order online at british library

3 minutes ago, chrisash said:

Not very big at 128 pages

The british Libary hold a massive selection of books in fact all uk printed books plus many US, If you go to your nearest library some time then they will get you a copy and tell you when its in , may may take about six weeks, or at least it did mine, you pick up and give back at local libary. you may even be able to order online at british library

Forgot that, Chris, thanks.

That's how I learned futhark runes as a nipper , the book was in Manchester, and I was in the New Forest. Should have remembered.

Into Dereham tomorrow then.

Best

H

Edited by hwinbermuda

futhark runes as a nipper

I did not know that.

I did not know futhark, (okay, truth be told, I still don't know futhark), and I thought runes was a noun, and nipper escapes me, completely. So, I am now more informed, but as to what, I'm not sure. I LOVE THIS FORUM! 

I do like to think that if I watched the total series of Monty Python again, I'd understand this. Except my local Brit translator passed away a while ago. And without him, I'd still not know that "xheour.letyhe[ri]tj" tanslated as "well, that's a fair cop". I'll never get that hour back. (Volume up, listen, volume up more, listen, give up and call the Scot.) RIP, Ted. I LOVE THIS FORUM!

Jeff

Edited by alpha2

Nipper means child or youth.

runes is a noun.

futhark is probably a name for a specific type of rune set.

maybe. Could be rongggh. Lol

Edited by ScoobyNewbie

12 minutes ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Futhark comes from the formation of the first letters of the Ancient Norse alphabet - in the same way our name 'alphabet' comes from the first two letters; Alpha, Beta

There were several Futhark alphabets; Elder, Younger, Danish, Old, New, Saxon et cetera

Runes is a generic term for writing using only straight lines; prehistoric man wrote on stones using straight lines, the writing looks like blocks of bar-codes. Thus the Ancient Norse is Viking Runes

8 hours ago, alpha2 said:

futhark runes as a nipper

I did not know that.

I did not know futhark, (okay, truth be told, I still don't know futhark), and I thought runes was a noun, and nipper escapes me, completely. So, I am now more informed, but as to what, I'm not sure. I LOVE THIS FORUM! 

I do like to think that if I watched the total series of Monty Python again, I'd understand this. Except my local Brit translator passed away a while ago. And without him, I'd still not know that "xheour.letyhe[ri]tj" tanslated as "well, that's a fair cop". I'll never get that hour back. (Volume up, listen, volume up more, listen, give up and call the Scot.) RIP, Ted. I LOVE THIS FORUM!

Jeff

I could have been helpful...

When young I saw some Nordic writing and set out to understand it.

Nah, that sounds too stiff upper lip for me. ;)

2 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Nipper means child or youth.

runes is a noun.

maybe. Could be rongggh. Lol

Spot on Scoobie

2 hours ago, fredk said:

Futhark comes from the formation of the first letters of the Ancient Norse alphabet - in the same way our name 'alphabet' comes from the first two letters; Alpha, Beta

There were several Futhark alphabets; Elder, Younger, Danish, Old, New, Saxon et cetera

Runes is a generic term for writing using only straight lines; prehistoric man wrote on stones using straight lines, the writing looks like blocks of bar-codes. Thus the Ancient Norse is Viking Runes

Brilliant explanation, thanks Fred.

Wish I could remember the whole of it now, but it helped when I read Lord of the Rings.

Best to all

Harry

Edited by hwinbermuda

Thanks!

Jeff

Harry- give this a go- if you can extrapolate the patterns to leather its a ready made free resource- Caveat- I have not done any of these bags in leather... I have sewn several in canvas and quilted jaquards (upholstery weight)when I was starting to sew this summer.

https://allcrafts.net/sewing/pursesew.htm

This site as a whole has a load of "crafty" patterns- but I have only wandered this page or two.

Hope it helps- be safe and as always- enjoy the days!

2 minutes ago, SilverForgeStudio said:

Harry- give this a go- if you can extrapolate the patterns to leather its a ready made free resource- Caveat- I have not done any of these bags in leather... I have sewn several in canvas and quilted jaquards (upholstery weight)when I was starting to sew this summer.

https://allcrafts.net/sewing/pursesew.htm

This site as a whole has a load of "crafty" patterns- but I have only wandered this page or two.

Hope it helps- be safe and as always- enjoy the days!

Looks good thank you.

Still intrigued to see the book...

My library has dipped out, so not in any UK library as they can all share. I am looking at ebay so watch this space...

Harry

Thank you Nlfrchief, that's what I wondered, having seen one of their other books.

I may still get it for the background,

Welcome to the forum .

Best

Harry

It was significantly reduced on Amazon, so I have ordered it, and will post a review when I get it.

Harry