bennadatto

Edge Creasing

Hey all!

How many of you use electronic edge creasers? If you're not using an electronic creaser, what do you use to get decorative edges?

Thanks!

I've got a slack handful of old creasers. Mostly intended for saddlery and harness work I think, though I don't do that sort of thing. (Well, not for horses...) Some are fixed and others screw creasers. About half are shoulder creasers, and they get used more than twice as much as the hand creasers. They can be used cold but the effect isn't very pronounced unless you case the leather, and then it only works on veg tanned leather. I prefer to use them hot, as this produces a deeper, crisper, more permanent impression and is much faster than doing it cold.

Normally I do each crease line twice -- once lightly and a little slow, in order to establish the line accurately. Then I rewarm the creaser a couple seconds and do the line again, deeper and with more downwards force. Takes under a minute to crease a belt made of bridle leather this way, and it's permanent.