SeppoKaitainen

Threading the needle

Does anyone have step-by-step pictures of how you knot your thread when threading a needle for hand stitching?  I am having trouble with my knots slipping undone as I stitch and would love to not have to re-tie several times.  Thanks!

Shouldn't be knotting for saddle stitching. Make it look like below and then pull the short end so it doubles up on the long end and repeat for the other needle.

Not my pics, found 'em when I googled.

Saddle-stitch-9.jpg&f=1

FQ1J77SHZOKZTG2.MEDIUM.jpg?width=614

Try this link too: https://www.instructables.com/id/how-to-thread-a-leather-needle/

That is a wonderful picture. I don’t knot until I’m done. Just a tail at each needle.

That’s great, thank you.  I had not seen piercing the needle into thread done twice.  Have tried it with only a single pass and very good thread unravels quickly.  Will give the second lock a shot.  

Strange. I've always used a single pass and never had a problem with it "unravelling", even on long runs around a belt.

I was going to mention that too @dikman. I have used a double pass in the past but usually just do one because it works and it pulls out of the eye when I'm done far easier.

Started using a single then gave up and just leave a tail now with no problem and if it does pierce the opposite thread unnoticed, very easy t pull through and clear

@Seppo  I had not seen piercing the needle into thread done twice

That's how we were taught by the Saddlery lecturer at college in the 1980s, and I do it automatically now. Did not even consider other ways at all.

Harness makers used to use a specific black sticky wax which was used only on the top few inches of thread, which would grab on very well, no piercing needed. This is in the context of hand rolled linen threads, which have beautiful long tapers on the ends. Once the needles were locked on the whole thread, including the bit with sticky wax, was rubbed heavily with a more slippery wax, like beeswax or coad. I tried this out a few times just for the experience but for the things I do (which don't include tugs or traces) it was overkill and far too laborious.

Get the book from Tandy Leather by Al Stohlman "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather" it gives detailed instructions on tapering the thread, waxing and threading the needles.